Cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive given all my fish away but 2 tiger barbs but i will be giving them to a lps today and i will re do my 10 gal and cycle it. Im going to have a sand bottom with live plants. I was just wondering any step by step or tips on cycling my tank.

For fishless cycling:

Step 1: Dose ammonia to 4 ppm, and then test daily.
Step 2: Once ammonia gets below 1 ppm, dose back up to 4 ppm, and test for nitrites.
Step 3: Once nitrites are spotted, dose ammonia to only 2 ppm whenever it drops below one. Do not worry if it is at zero for a few days. The bacteria will be fine.
Step 4: When nitrites get over readable levels do a water change to bring them down (this isn't completely necessary but I like to do it to know what is going on)
Step 5: Eventually you will have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Make sure nitrates don't get too high (I like to keep it under 80 while fishless cycling). Once you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, dose ammonia to 4 ppm and check again 24 hours later.
Step 6: If ammonia and nitrite are back at 0 ppm 24 hours after dosing, you are cycled! You can add up to your full stock as soon as you finish, or just a few fish.

Tips:
Test for ammonia at least a full hour after dosing. Otherwise the ammonia may not be properly mixed.
This process usually takes 4-6 weeks without seeded material, but seeded material (anything from another tank, gravel and decor are good, but filter media is best [make sure it stays dry], however, water won't help very much) will help IMMENSELY and shorten your cycle to just DAYS.

This is just how I have done it and my opinion, but it is almost exactly what other fishless cyclers do.

Back
Top Bottom