Cycling new tank - bit stuck!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexpb22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey folks,

I'm new here and am looking for a bit of advice re cycling my fishless tank.

I set up my 125 litre tank a couple of weeks ago and decided to do a fishless cycle as per the instructions on this site, which I must say are fab and very clear.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...e-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283-176.html

I set the tank up and seeded it with some media from an existing tank but it was a few days before my ammonia arrived. Anyway I've been following it to the letter but I've been at a point now for a while where my Nitrites are off the scale and my Nitrates are high (around 80ppm).

The problem is my Nitrites aren't coming down, I did a water change as per the guide and that brought them down to a readable level for a day but by the next day they went back up off the scale. Presumably because of me dosing 4ppm of Ammonia.

My question is, is this Ok? Do I carry on regardless and hope that one day the levels suddenly drop to zero overnight or should I be trying to bring my Nitrites down to a readable level.

I'm worried that I have stalled my cycle and don't want to carry on as is if that is the case. It may just be that I'm not at the point of Nitrites coming down yet and they may do in time but I don't want to spend weeks waiting if actually I have stalled it.

If anyone could advise that would be great.

This morning when I got up my Ammonia was at 1ppm so I have dosed it up a little bit, my Nitrites are off the chart and Nitrates at around 80ppm

Just not sure how best to proceed from here. The tank has been set up for about two weeks now.

Dose ammonia to only 1 ppm daily. Try that for awhile. If in 5 days the nitrites are still up do a water change and dose back to 2 ppm daily.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom