Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaGal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently started my first 10 gallon aquarium. Originally I put in 3 Danios, but one died ... so they tested my water at the pet store and my ammonia was high (~3). This was the day after I started the aquarium. On the guy's advice, I bought a Python and did a 25% water change, as well as adding ... I think it was called Ammo Lock. Now, 2 days later, I tested the water myself and I have:

pH - 7.8
Ammonia - .50
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5.0

Am I on the right track??? Do I need to do a water change at this point? Should I test again tomorrow? Why are my nitrites zero, but I have nitrates already? I have just the 2 danios in there right now. I want to eventually add maybe some platies or mollies - haven't decided yet. And long term, I want to use the danios to start a larger aquarium - 30 gal or so.

Thanks! I'm brand new to this, and I'm very happy to have found this forum!!

Well..you found the right place.The people here are most helpful.

You are at the very beginning of the cycle.First ammonia then nitrites and the finally nitrates.

Test your source water for nitrates,thats the most likely reason for testing positive this early.

Stay away from the ammolock and try to keep your ammonia levels around .25 with water changes.Be sure to declorinate and temperture match the water.

Do not any more fish now...it will just make the water more difficult to keep in check.

Cycling a tank with fish is the most difficult way to do it ime...there are ways to help it along,like adding filter media or substrate from an established tank if possible.It will already have the bacteria needed to break down the ammonia and nitrites on/in it so it more a matter of it repopulating as opposed to starting new.

HTH and welcome to AA.Your going to have more questions..just keep reading (go back some pages too) and ask away.

Thank you! I never even thought of testing my water supply for nitrates.

I kind of had a feeling that the AmmoLock wasn't the best thing to do, but the pet store guy had me in a panic that my ammonia was high. He didn't tell me that it was because I had a brand new tank! (Believe me, I've learned so much more on the internet than by listening to pet store people.) So no more AmmoLock, I promise. :) So I think I'll test again tomorrow, then do another PWC.

Test your tap water for ammonia, if you have chloramines in your water supply, it will turn color. This is important because chloramines can not be removed by aeration, and a dechlorinator at the least will alway be needed in the future. Use a quality liquid reagent test kit. If you do have chloramines, you can never water change your way lower than this value during the early cycle, since new water has that much ammonia. I don't think that ammolock rally hurts anything, but I think water changes are cheaper and better. Try to keep the ammonia as low as you can with daily water changes. Certainly below 1 ppm, below 0.5 ppm is better. You are already past the point on "low bioload" cycling with minimal levels, but you can read my thoughts on that at http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0017.htm if you feel up to it.

I presume you do not have any access to colonized biomedia from an established tank. If you do, add it to your filter and you can dramatically shorten the cycle. Add no more fish, and feed very sparingly to reduce the ammonia and nitrite spikes that you will get for the next few weeks.

Okay, so this is the test kit I got.

Freshwater Master Test Kit

Good? By the way, I may have to buy it online next time. That's a LOT less than what I paid for it!

I tested my tap water:

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 2.5

So there are nitrates in my tap water! Good call by SCFatz - thanks!!

I just did a water change. Prior to this my aquarium had:

pH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.5
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 2.5

And I added NO AmmoLock. I forgot to add that I am using AquaSafe as the conditioner, to get rid of chlorine. I also have one live plant (and a couple fake ones) and a treasure chest that is hooked up to an air pump.

Anything else?

You are just starting your cycle, you are still in the early ammonia stage. The ammonia will spike and then the nitrites. All you can do right now is change water to keep ammonia and nitrites under .5, to protect your fish. Good Luck.

One more thing - I hope it's not a silly question, but I've been wondering about this. I have a filter where I'm supposed to change the "Bio Bag" once a month. If I do this, won't I be getting rid of all those good bacteria???

Do not change that bag. Do not touch it until the cycle is through. After that just rinse it in old tank water. No need to ever replace it.

Good call by SCFatz - thanks!!
LOL thanks!!

But let me clear here...I just type in what I have learned because someone typed it in for me...my aquatic understanding is still far from absolute.I do wonder how much I must read before it is though lol.

The kit you have is the only one to have imo....If by chance you got it at petsmart you can print the page you linked and bring it in with your receipt.They will adjust the price.before or after the purchase.Pretty cool imo.

Anything else?Just test and keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down with water changes and ask away as the questions pop up.They are going too...they do/did for us all.

Also- just a thought- but since you have only two fish and are pretty much at the beginning of your cycle, the store might be willing to take them back for you and you could do a fishless cycle- which would mean no daily water changes for you?

My nitrate nitrate friend does have a point.You should also consider fishless cycling...you would have to lose the fish (back to the store),but it is much less work,but just as much time.

Good thought and post Elle.

SCFatz said:
My nitrate nitrate friend

Ha... ha... ha... very funny. :wink:

And yes, the fishless cycle does test your patience a little... but on the other hand gives you lots of time to plan. And WAY less work- no water changes. And mine actually took a lot less time that I expected (just under 3 weeks- though you probably have to plan for a little more).

Back
Top Bottom