Cycling(Why my ammonia level hasnt dropped in 3 weeks,5.0?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nineiron

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive just started a 10 gallon tank. My ammonia level went up steadily to 5.0 then hasnt moved in three weeks. Im a newbie and any advice will help to get my 29 gallon tank to cycle correctly.

just be patient it should slowly come down in the next week or two. just a question though, how did you start the ammonia in the cycle did you do it with a shrimp cause if so you may want to remove it. but if not maybe try a small water change. discribe your setup though and what you've done from day one.

Yep. Just be patient. Have you been doing regular water changes? Every week change 20% of the water in the early stages of cycling :mrgreen:

You started with 4 platys and let the ammonia level climb to 5? That is very cruel. You must do water changes right away to get that level down. You only let those levels climb if you are doing a fishless cycle, not one with fish. Ammonia will kill them off, no latter how hardy they are, plus it will leave them very weak when the cycle is over. Do water changes to get that level down to zero.

Doing a cycle with fish takes much longer because you can't let the levels climb up at all.

Have you tried adding the liquid product "Cycle?" I have had good success with it cutting the time from high chems to no chems in half. Where are your nitrite levels? You can't really feel safe that things are well on their way until your nitrite has also returned to 0.

I agree with what's been said above that 5.0 ammonia is pretty darn hard on your inhabitants and you'd better do some daily 15-25% water changes to get that down, if you can.

Best of luck.

Thank all of you for your advice. My ammonia level has dropped to 2.5. I used some "cycle" yesterday and Im seeing some results.

Back
Top Bottom