Day 67 of fishless cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Videonut85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't understand why things aren't progressing. Ammonia is converting VERY slowly. It drops 1 ppm every 4 to 5 days. Nitrites are converting at a pace that keeps their level around 1 to 1.5 ppm. Dosing ammonia is pure, no surficants or scents, passes the shake test.

Readings:
Ammonia: 3 ppm
Nitrites: 1.5 ppm (level doesn't change much, but nitrates will increase)
Nitrates: 100 ppm

Water temp: 82F
Filter: Aquaclear 50
Tank: 29G

Tap water (I have a well) reads 0/0/10

I've done 20% pwcs, 50% pwcs, I've added powdered bits of flake food, freeze dried brine shrimp etc.

I'm getting fed up. The wife has been giving me looks as to why we're staring at an empty tank for so long. I'm just about to do a big PWC and get a couple of fish. After all, there are some bacteria in there already, they just aren't converting fast enough. Why won't my tank progress? :banghead:

I should add that my temp used to be around 84 to 86 F, I lowered it a little to see if that would help the cycle. It didn't.

I see you have well water but using a water conditioner like prime may help.

Look at the article in my signature, it will answer a bunch of questions

If your ph is real low it could put you in a stall.

Ph is is about 7.4

I'm using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit

I have some test strips that I bought when I first got the tank not realizing strips were inaccurate. I just use a strip to see what it read, and according to it, nitrites are 1 ppm, nitrates are about 30 to 40 ppm.

Look at the article in my signature, it will answer a bunch of questions

The article is similar to others I've read. It seems the bacteria are in place, they just aren't forming large enough groups to consume everything.

I feel for ya, I am getting looks and its only been 6 days for me so far.

lol I got the look when I told her we couldn't take fish home with the tank when I bought it. Then I told her it would probably be 4 to 6 weeks. Here I am almost 10 weeks out... I'm starting to get tired of testing water every day without any success. It took almost 4 weeks before I saw any nitrites in the water. Then they appeared and I thought, finally! Maybe things will start moving along now. HA! 3 weeks after that Nitrates finally started showing up. Here I come Guiness book of world records "Longest Fishless Cycle"

Just to be sure, you have not changed filter pads etc?

I started with an aqueon 20 filter, which I thought was probably slowing down the cycle not being an adequate filter. I added the aquaclear 50 after nitrites started showing up. That was about 4 weeks in. I had them running together for 2 weeks and then I removed the aqueon. When I did, I took the filter out and swished it around the tank.

Now I suppose that could have been like starting over? I guess I didn't think of that too much. But even so, the cycle for the first filter never got even close to completing, no progress while they were in tandem, and still only a very slow conversion with the aquaclear. I only added the bit of the food last week.

When's the last time you did a pwc before testing pH? I've seen a pattern recently of pH crashes due to lack of buffers in the water. Keep a sharp eye and lookout for any signs the pH is dropping at all on a daily basis.

eco23 said:
When's the last time you did a pwc before testing pH? I've seen a pattern recently of pH crashes due to lack of buffers in the water. Keep a sharp eye and lookout for any signs the pH is dropping at all on a daily basis.

That's what I was alluding to as well

i had trouble with my readings when i cycled ,i just stopped the water changes turned off the lights and it cycled , i got told dont water change you are just getting rid if everything you need to cycle your tank .
it worked for me
:cool:

I did a 50% water change 2 weeks ago. I haven't tested the ph for a little while now until today. No more PWCs, but I'll keep an eye on the ph. If the ph starts to go one way or another, should I do a PWC, or use an additive? Would a ph up or down product for a spa work in the tank?

Videonut85 said:
I did a 50% water change 2 weeks ago. I haven't tested the ph for a little while now until today. No more PWCs, but I'll keep an eye on the ph. If the ph starts to go one way or another, should I do a PWC, or use an additive? Would a ph up or down product for a spa work in the tank?

Check out the last couple pages of my guide thread in my signature. We've been dealing with this a lot recently and there's lots of discussion about crushed coral. Fixed everyone right up so far.

Are you using carbon? If so I recommend removing it. Trust me

Back
Top Bottom