Determining number of shrimp in planted fish AQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RegisG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My planted 29 gal aquarium is about 1 month old and cycled. A week ago I added some zebra danios and skunk corys. They are all doing fine. I will be returning the danios and adding some cardinal tetra and dwarf groumi. And I would like to add some shrimp e.g. cherry shrimp.

How do I determine how many shrimp I can add and how many fish I need to reduce due to adding shrimp.

Appreciate any tips along this line,
Regis

I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere that 10 per gallon is a good number.

Hi RegisG,
I saw this question when you first posted it but did not reply.
10 shrimp per gallon is a number that I to have read on the internet.

I don’t think I am any kind of expert but I have been able to keep cherry shrimp alive for 3 years.

Here is what I have done and you can make off it what you want.
I started with 5 shrimp, after a few months I brought 4 or 5 more cherry shrimp just to be certain I had a strong mix of blood lines was my thinking.

I now have hundreds of cherry shrimp ,well several thousand would be closer to the truth but you would think I was full of it.

Shrimp breed easily. It’s unlikely you want to get a male only group to avoid breeding? Shrimp breed faster than MOST SPECIES of fish eat them .

By adding multiple hiding places for the shrimp to moult in .
Adding vegetables for other fish. Doing a normal water change routine as you would for fish. Water changing into a white bucket then netting the adult shrimp back into the tank. Feeding the fish a healthy food once a day. Not cleaning everything and making a sterile tank but allowing a normal healthy amount of biofilm to grow as it is in any tank. You to will have more shrimp than you can count.

I suggest you start with a handful and let them decide how many the tank can support.

Back
Top Bottom