Did I mess up my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xxaprilrose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a new tank. I’m doing fishless cycling. I just started yesterday and cleared the chlorine, then I added the ammonia, waited an hour for that to disperse then I added api quick start. My issue is when doing the quick start I guess I didn’t have enough for my tank. I should have done 8 teaspoons but instead only had enough for 6 teaspoons. Will this be ok? Also it’s 37 gallons and the ammonia is 4 ppm. Should I go out and buy more quick start and add it today or is it too late? Does it not matter? Any help would be appreciated. Thank u!

You havent messed anything up. You can get another bottle and add some more if you want. I suppose adding some more from a new bottle will increase the odds of getting the bacteria established.

Bottled bacteria might speed up your cycke, might do nothing. It can easily die off in the bottle before it even gets to you. Dont expect it to be a magic bullet and don't expect it to quickly cycle your tank. 6 to 8 weeks is typical.

Back
Top Bottom