Does too much Ammonia stop the cycling process?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm doing a fish-less cycle in a 15gal tank. I had an algae bloom to start, blacked the tank out a few days & started the ammonia. I thought it was at 4.0 ppm, but I'm on Day #5, the ammonia hasn't come down at all. I have not used any jumpstarters like media or substrate from a healthy cycled tank. I'm using the API FW Master Test Kit. I do have a small Nitrite reading & maybe some Nitrates.

Does TOO MUCH ammonia stop the cycle? Honestly, mine hasn't even started. I'm teying to be patient. I bought a bio-sponge from the LFS (doesn't have BB but promotes the growth). I'm one of those people who need to know why & how things work. So I guess my question is... What happens when there's too much ammonia? I know not enough & the BB or Nitrifying bacteria "starve." Thanks in advance for your reply!!

It can sometimes take as long as 2-3 weeks for ammonia to start dropping when your cycling from scratch (no cycled media). Make sure you check your tap water for the presence of amm, nitrite & nitrate as well- this may be where your nitrite & nitrate reading is coming from. Its also a good idea so you know what you are putting in your tank. Keep an eye on your ph as well for changes which can affect a cycle.

In respect to too much ammonia, ammonia does have disinfectant properties. It is also very alkaline. Ammonium quaternary compounds are commonly used as disinfectants in hospital/medica/agricultral facilities. So, an overdose of ammonia will prevent a tank from cycling both due to an excessively high ph and limiting the proper bacteria from existing or growing. Hope this helps!

As JLK said, short answer is yes: anything past 5 and definitely approaching 8 ppms of ammonia can stall the cycle. How long have you been adding ammonia? The initial drop can take a while as the bacteria needs some time to find it's way into your tank and then multiply. If you can't find seeded media, AngelsPlus sells seeded active sponge filters from their angel fish tanks. They've helped many on here (myself included) cycle their tanks. Just make sure you get a sponge that says "active" next to it or else you're just buying a plain filter.

Thank you for your replies. I'm on Day #6 w/ the ammonia. Just did 1 dose on Day #1, no more. I'm aware I did not put a filter in w/ BB. I've been asking around for cycled media/substrate. I'm actually kinda nervous I might get weird snails or a disease, so it depends on the aquarium knowledge of the person I get it from. I'm not interested in ordering from Angels Plus (yet) but I'll bet I get impatient shortly!! I like to absorb info slowly & don't wanna get 1 of those filters til I feel confident that I really know what I'm doin'. I don't wanna ruin it & throw my money down the drain.

My tap water is 8.0 pH gassed off. And the tank has been 8.0 the whole time. There's no ammonia in my tap water, at least not a detectable amount w/ my API Master Kit. I just did a 95% water change, might put me back at square one but I'm hoping I can reduce the algae bloom since my cycle didn't really seem to have begun yet. Re-dosing ammonia now & testing later. This definitely is a learning experience & I love it!!

Sounds good, six days isn't long (although it feels like it lol), it can take 1-2 weeks to see the initial drop in ammonia. Water changes won't affect the cycle at all. Do you have a heater? Try to keep the temp at about 86 as bacteria like warmer temps. They also like oxygen, so an air stone or water falling from the filter and breaking the surface would be good. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom