Drip acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcurlacher54

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello everyone. i read that you should only acclimate one fish at a time. is this only for aggression purposes? or is there another reason? if its only for aggression, i figure that since i am having only african cichlids they can big boy up and take care of themselves for the process. just wanting to double check because the auratus thats left from my disaster this weekend is starting to give the jewel (who has come back to life nicely) a hard time. so i figured id add a few others tomorrow to give the dude a break. im not wanting a repeat of last weekend. :banghead:

Nope, I acclimated a shoal of WC minnows, 4 amano shrimp, 4 ghosties and a couple snails all at the same time for the same tank a couple weeks ago. They're all happy and healthy to date.

If I drip acclimate I use a constant flow, not a drip. I dump the bag and fish into a five gallon bucket and start a siphon from the display with an air tube. I let it flow completely full flow. This goes faster but is slow and steady. IMO the true drip method allows the water in the tube and bucket to cool too much. So you may give them an idea of the water to come, but then dump them into a different temp.

i just tie a loose knot in some airline tubing, get the siphon going, and adjust it until i get about a drop per second.

Back
Top Bottom