end of cycling dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpediem

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thank you to everyone, who tried to help with my tank won't cycle post. Your input was greatly appreciated.
From tomorrow on, I will be fishless!!!!! My lfs agreed to take all the fish back. He too, thought, this was getting ridicoulos. I will strip my tank, rinse all ornaments, gravel, filter and tank and start new. Now I have to research about going fishless cycling. Just have to convince the kids, that this is the best option we have. (ammonia 1.0 daily or 2.0 after 1 1/2 days).
I will probably be back with different questions. (the moment I see a nitrite spike after starting again, I will pop a bottle of champagne)
Anyway, thanks for your support.

Here's the site I used to help me through the fishless cycle:
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
Sorry you have to start all over again, but in the long run, it'll be worth it!
Yes, when my nitrites finally went DOWN to zero I wanted to pop champagne yesterday! I know the feeling! My fishless cycle took about 6 weeks with no seeded materials. Good luck!

Glad to hear that you're going to keep plugging away. Is it too late to try to get some seeded material from your LFS? It could help reduce the time.

Good luck!

Would it be safer to do it from scratch with 1 raw shrimp for my 10 gal. At this point I really do not care how long it takes after 1 1/2 months of daily water changes. I understand that with fishless you just let it ride? I still cannot figure out why my tank did not cycle. What could be in there prohibiting colonisation of bacteries? had only gravel, fish and plastic ornaments and plastic plants in there, bought everything at the lfs. I do not get it.
we will see who the master of the tank is!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can certainly toss a shrimp in there and walk away for a month, then test and see what you have. Or, use household ammonia and test the first day until you get 5ppm ammonia, then use that same amount every day for a month and test and see where you are. No water changes, no nothing. I like to raise the temp when doing a fishless cycle up to 84F, as it seems to speed things along a bit.

Use a dechlorinator that does NOT mention anything about detoxifying ammonia or nitrite, but simply detoxifies chlorine and chloramine.

If you do these things there is no reason your tank won't cycle, it just might take a while.

You ARE the master of the tank!! :D

Thanks tankgirl, a piece of a raw prawn is already in there. Critter made a good suggestion to put the shrimp or prawn into a plastic bag with holes to keep the mess down. I will do that right away.

my state of mind: Already 2 days and my tank is not cycled yet. LOL. Patience is a virtue!!!!! Yes, I will survive the 5 weeks. Breath!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom