Filter Picks and test kit.... = )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wenty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok.... I just inherited a 38 gal tank and my first step is to get new filters.

How is my choice? Opinions please !!! :eyes:

I'm getting two kinds for great filtering....... unless ??

Eheim Classic Canister 2213

Hagen AquaClear Power Filter 70

Also whats a good test kit for the pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate in water ??? 8O

Welcome to AA :) Both filters are highly recommended around here. Are you planning on getting both filters or just one of them? As for the test kit... API Master FW Test Kits are the best for the money IMO...

Welcome to AA :) Both filters are highly recommended around here. Are you planning on getting both filters or just one of them? As for the test kit... API Master FW Test Kits are the best for the money IMO...

Both filters. :D I plan on spoiling my fish like I do with my cat. The API master is what I was looking at so I'm on the right track. Thank you very much !!!!

WoW.. Those 2 filters together in a 38 gal is a lil' overkill I think? Depends on what you are planning on stocking your tank with. Any ideas on what you're planning on stocking that new 38gal with?
As for Test kit, I agree with mfdrookie. Go API Freshwater Master liquid kit. Forget the strips, they are a waste of Green Backs.

WoW.. Those 2 filters together in a 38 gal is a lil' overkill I think? Depends on what you are planning on stocking your tank with. Any ideas on what you're planning on stocking that new 38gal with?
As for Test kit, I agree with mfdrookie. Go API Freshwater Master liquid kit. Forget the strips, they are a waste of Green Backs.

Maybe over kill but clean water. :angel: Also I just ordered them so I have to use them now.. :D

This ===> 2-3 Angles, 2-Gouramis, 12-Tetras, 2-Cory....

Or this ==> Couple Discus, 12-Tetra and maybe 2-Cory. Highly doubt I'll do this set up.

I don't know yet I need to start out slow and see how things work out with the fish.

Depends on their attitude when they chill out together. :cool:

Well, for sure the Discus will outgrow your Tank and usually need to be in groups of 4-6. I suppose it is ok to keep them in there until they grow to adult size, then move then to a 55+ Gal tank.
A good article on recommended environment for Discus'
http://ezinearticles.com/?Tank-Requirements-For-Discus-Fish&id=52943

As for your first choice, the Angels are too aggressive for your Tetras & Corys.

Well, for sure the Discus will outgrow your Tank and usually need to be in groups of 4-6. I suppose it is ok to keep them in there until they grow to adult size, then move then to a 55+ Gal tank.
A good article on recommended environment for Discus'
Tank Requirements For Discus Fish

As for your first choice, the Angels are too aggressive for your Tetras & Corys.

I haven't really figured out what I'm going to do. Right now I have to clean the tank and cycle it out. 8O We will see then what I do..... Maybe turtles ????? :silly:

Go for it, I am filtering 475gph on a 52g tank which only requires 104gph of filtration, It still get dirty and the filters earn their keep. It never hurts to overfilter, especially with big bioload species.

Well my order didn't go through because I didn't update my credit card on PayPal..... oops. :rolleyes: No filters or heater now.

That's a good thing because I went out and bought a 55 gal. tank today. :D

The 38 gal. after cleaning it up had some bad scratches from someone trying to clean the outside of it. Too rough of a scrubber pad it looked like..... I was bummed out but now I have a bigger tank. :cool: So now I have to order bigger filters for it then what I had for the 38. This tank is sweet and I can't wait to see it with water in it.

I have an Amiracle Wet/Dry rated for up to 120g on my 55g with a 600gph pump. No such thing as over filtration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom