Filter sponge turns PINK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chynadol29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!

I've had a tank of tropical fish for a long time, and have been adding the following to my water everytime I changed it:

1. Water conditioner
2. PH down (b/c I noticed that the pH was a little high)
3. Aquarium salt

Lately, I noticed that the filter-sponge turns PINK after 1-2 weeks of usage (it's originally white to start w/). Does this mean there's something wrong with my water treatment? :roll:

I have about 4-5 disc fishes, but I notice that their fins start to get really "chewed up looking" after I have them for a while...is this the fin 'rotting' ? I'm afraid the "pinkness " of the filter-sponge can be indicative of problem w/ the water that could cause this fin-problem in my fish.. :cry:

Could anyone offer any advice?

I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

you do not need the salt or the ph down... a stable ph is better then a perfect ph, chemically changing you ph is hard on your fish :?

not sure what would cause the white filter to turn pink (how much salt are you adding?

disc fish = discus?

Hi Chynadol29!
Welcome to AA!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Firstly, do you have test kits?
What are your water parameters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH)?

If your pH is high (above 7.8 ) you should also test your water hardness. It's difficult to bring down the pH in hard water.

That said, I would stop using the pH adjuster. Discus prefer slightly acidic water, but will survive in most pHs. They just won't breed as readily. What they absolutely cannot tolerate is pH swings - something that may happen if you overdose the pH adjuster.

The use of salt can go either way. Some say it prevents disease; others don't bother with it. Until you are confident that your water parameters are good, you may want to avoid adding other variables like salinity to the equation.

Ragged fins can be caused by aggression or disease or both. If the fin edge is white or streaked with red, it's infected. Fin rot is pretty easy to cure using mild antibiotics/astringents like Melafix. If that doesn't work, stronger medications like Maracyn work well.

The pinkish hue on your white filter media may be a biofilm of bacteria and diatoms. The bacteria are essential for removing ammonia, and the diatoms usually go away on their own.

It's not necessary to replace the filter media every week. The manufacturers tell us that to make more money. You can simply rinse it off in a small container of tank water. I don't replace my filter pads until they are practically falling apart! Try keeping the sponge in the tank for a month or more - if it turns dark brown, it's definitely diatoms.

Back
Top Bottom