First API Master Water Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquanoobie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My brother-in-law just came in from the States (I live in Germany) and brought me an API Master Test Kit. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this because I only had JBL test strips until now (the tank is eight days old). I did my first complete test and the results are below. I currently have 4 guppies in the tank but when I get back from an eight day trip next week I want to add more. I cycled (at least I think it is cycled) with fish in (two guppies) and used Tetra Safe Start. A couple of days ago I supplemented the bacteria with a shot of Clean Start from Amtra after a water change (25%).

I am particularly concerned about the PH as I have been adding Tetra PH Minus for a week (10ml a day) with little change. I have read on all the forums that PH is not really a big deal as most commonly kept fish are pretty hardy regarding PH. I would love to hear some suggestions from you guys out there. Has anyone ever tried peat balls? I have a gravel bed, I know replacing it with sand could also help, but is it worth it?

API Test Results

Temp - 25c
Ammonia - 0
NO3 - 10
NO2 - 0
PH - 8.2
KH - 15 (JBL Strip Result)
GH - 7 (JBL Strip Result)
Chlorine - 0 (JBL Strip Result)

Thanks for helping me out. I feel like I have avoided some pretty big blunders as a result of the forum.

Last edited:
My tank's ph is also 8.2 and my fish are fine, I have seen many recommendations as to not mess with the ph using chemicals. As long as you acclimate the fish appropriately you should be fine.
My ph is high out of the tap and my LFS ph is also a little high so it works out well.
I would think maybe If your LFS ph is very low and you introduce that fish into your tank there would be a problem, but that is only a hypothesis.
The API master kit is great, keep a periodical eye on ammonia or nitrite spikes. Also monitor ph if there are major changes. I keep a log to document past tests.

Test your tap water to see what your tap ph is that should be what your tank is at also you shoul be able to ask your fish store what there's is so you know what the fish are accustomed to a few points here or there won't hurt your fish. With that said adding in the chemicals to mess with the ph levels usually isn't a good idea it crates more problems than it helps like the other person said proper acclimation to your tank parameters is the important part. If your tap water is way off what your tank is then you need to look for the source of that problem, if your tap water is close to the ph that your tank is and your adding in chemicals to lower ph because you want it lower every water change you do will then create a ph imbalance which will be bad for your fish. Tap and tank should be same ish, tank and LFS should be close with in reason.

Back
Top Bottom