First Fish in Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
Levels Dropped yesterday, did a water change this mornings and stats are perfect to put some fish in, to im putting long fin danios in my tank today, just put my first half cup of water in the bag, wish me luck

also got some malashian(sp) drift wood i just put in the tank, i heard drift wood is good for a tank's ph anyone verify this fact for me?

Levels Dropped yesterday, did a water change this mornings and stats are perfect to put some fish in, to im putting long fin danios in my tank today, just put my first half cup of water in the bag, wish me luck

also got some malashian(sp) drift wood i just put in the tank, i heard drift wood is good for a tank's ph anyone verify this fact for me?

Just keep monitoring the stats and keep up with the water changes.
It might be a good idea to remove the Malaysian DW and boil it several times to help it sink and leach out the tannins. Tannins are not a bad thing but they will discolor your tank for awhile.

Just keep monitoring the stats and keep up with the water changes.
It might be a good idea to remove the Malaysian DW and boil it several times to help it sink and leach out the tannins. Tannins are not a bad thing but they will discolor your tank for awhile.

will do and ty, i put it in the tank and it sank like a rock lol lol, and your right color seems a lil darker but its ok i kinda like it lol, but ty ty for the words of wisdom

Fish have been in tank roughly 2 1/2 hours and have been fed, also drift wood has been added. just tested water and ammonia .25
nitrite .25
nitrate 10.0
ph. 7.8 drift wood has dropped it roughly .3

waited out the 5 min and ammonia was 0 as was nitrite, test hadnt fully developed lol nitrate is still at 10.0

fish seem to be doing well but im not sure what kinds of things i should be looking for as in good or bad, anyone give me some idea of what they will do if they are having trouble?

Hanging near the surface : exception top feeders: breathing fast sitting on the bottom : exception corry cats plecos: clamped fins.

Grats on the new fish! :) How did they fare through the addition?

Thanks Mebbid!, they did well, i spent roughly 1 1/2-2 hours with the acclimation process, they survived through the night and are doing well. they acclimated very well, they didnt stress and were cool as could be. got 5 (danios) but they are really long fin white clouds. ph levels dropped a bit when i added some drift wood, ammonia is steady at 0, nitrites went up from 0 to .25 since i put them in yesterday at noon but ill check again after work and do a water change if need be

Congrats, that's a great feeling when the first fish goes in.

thank you thank you, i put fish in the tank right away(due to lack of research) and they all died right away, so it was especially exciting to see that the first fish in my cycled tank are alive and well and active : ) i was very excited!

About the bad signs:

Most fish hide when put into a new tank, so if you see that, it is not a bad sign necessarily. Like what has been said, clamped fins, hanging near bottom or top, but also:
red gills, rubbing on glass or decor (called flashing), gulping air from surface, and any visible injuries (including ripped tails) are bad signs.

Also, congrats on the fish. It feels great to put the first fish in the cycled tank!

About the bad signs:

Most fish hide when put into a new tank, so if you see that, it is not a bad sign necessarily. Like what has been said, clamped fins, hanging near bottom or top, but also:
red gills, rubbing on glass or decor (called flashing), gulping air from surface, and any visible injuries (including ripped tails) are bad signs.

Also, congrats on the fish. It feels great to put the first fish in the cycled tank!

10-4, they are actually very very active and curious, then seem pretty to be swimming pretty much all over, top to bottom lol but i just got home so bout to feed them and check there water, but they seem to be doing very very well, i understand long fin white cloud minnows are pretty much bulletproof so i hope they are in a good situation, not just strong fish in a bad situation

readings after first full 24ish hours

ph 7.8
Ammonia .25
nitrite .25
nitrate 20.00

i just put a bottle of fritzszymes live backter in the tank yesterday(tank was already cycling ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate(plants are keeping nitrate low) however with the slight increase in ammonia and nitrite should i change the water or wait awhile and allow the bateria and fritzsymes to convert it?

About the bad signs:

Also, thanks for the congrats it does feel good to have them in the tank and have them thrive

Back
Top Bottom