first fishless cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfishyfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my first fishless cycle today! I'm using ammonia at 5ppm as well as water and filter juice from my established tank. Wish me luck!

Now i'm starting to think about what sorts of fish I might want to put in once the cycle is over. I might like a clown pleco, if i can find one, and some cories. Aside from those, I'm trying to work out a good assortment of fun, different sized fish (maybe a couple larger fish, some medium sized and some small) Right now the best I can come up with is maybe some angels, gouramis, and cardinal tetras. How does this sound? I'm unsure of how many of each, or what kind of gouramis. Any better ideas? I REALLY want to start this tank right!!!

oh yeah, it's a 35 gallon with sand substrate.

thanks!

Hey
I noticed that nobody has responded yet. I'm so far from an expert - I'm in the middle (or at the end?) of my first fishless cycle too! How's it going? What sort of values are you at? Wanna see mine??
I knew you would :wink:
Basically, I spend the first bit adding ammonia for about a week and a half. I got some goo from an already cycled tank. Eventually my ammonia went down to zero, and my nitrates went up. I've done a PWC to get my nitrate levels lower, and I'll be adding fish tomorrow I hope!

So, how's your cycling going?

I just added ammonia a few drops at a time, to mimic fish pee. I've been monitoring water parameters, and all seems ok. Please tell me that I'm not missing something... :!:

thanks for responding!

I think my cycle's just about over! this afternoon my readings were:

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 30 ppm

I'm going to wait a few days longer, just to be sure

now i just have to decide what kind of fish to get! :?

Back
Top Bottom