Fish diversity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanyasaur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! So my boyfriend and I have adopted my mother's 75 gallon bow front tank. I'll spare details and get to the point... As newbies, I just want to make sure we keep the right mix of fish. We started off with just getting colorful fish, and soon realized that wasn't the best way to choose fish. Right now we have a school of 5 green tiger barb, a school of 4 black tetra, 2 bala shark, 2 pictus catfish, 1 silver zebra angelfish, 1 red gourami, 1 pineapple platy, and 1 trinidad pleco. I just want to make sure we are not overcrowding our tank and that we don't have too many different species... And also that these fish work well together. Any advice? We don't want small fish as we have had issues with them getting sucked into our filter (aquaclear 110).

A sponge intake cover will help prevent any fish to get sucked in.

I would remove the balas, they get pretty darn large. I would also get more tiger barbs and black tetras

I would remove the balas, they get pretty darn large. I would also get more tiger barbs and black tetras

Yea, I'm noticing that. What's funny is the dude at the Petsmart said they wouldn't get too big. I even asked, "even in a 75 gallon tank?" I really enjoy my barbs and tetras, though. That's a good suggestion.

FW is quite right, Bala sharks can grow well over a foot long. They are quite good if your fish shop is willing to swap out larger specimens for smaller ones once they've grown too big for your tank. Most people don't like that idea as they get attached to them. Probably best to swap them out for a smaller species.
I take my smart phone or tablet to the fish shop to research any unknown species right there in the store. Trust your research and not an employee of a chain store.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

FW is quite right, Bala sharks can grow well over a foot long. They are quite good if your fish shop is willing to swap out larger specimens for smaller ones once they've grown too big for your tank. Most people don't like that idea as they get attached to them. Probably best to swap them out for a smaller species.
I take my smart phone or tablet to the fish shop to research any unknown species right there in the store. Trust your research and not an employee of a chain store.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Great advice! I had no clue that I could swap out larger fish at the fish shop; I'll keep that in mind in case I decide to let go of my balas (I am pretty attached to them).

Personally I would remove the tiger barbs and go with a different species. Cherry barbs can be peaceful. I've kept tiger barbs many times and in each example they became quite aggressive. Even in schools of 10 they would fin nip most everything and with an angel and platy that is a real concern.

Personally I would remove the tiger barbs and go with a different species. Cherry barbs can be peaceful. I've kept tiger barbs many times and in each example they became quite aggressive. Even in schools of 10 they would fin nip most everything and with an angel and platy that is a real concern.

Oh wow, really? They've actually been the only fish I've had zero issues with. When I only had one tiger barb, it got bullied a lot. I added 4 more so they could school and it hasn't had issues since.

Back
Top Bottom