Fish eating Anacharis while tank is still cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StephanieFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My boyfriend and I just got a 60 gallon aquarium at Petsmart about a week ago. Wanting to have everything our fishies needed we bought every item the sales associate recommended to us, literally, totaling well over 1k. Yes, we went overboard. He said we could put some prime in and add fish right away! Naively, we did. About 60 fish! Now after reading about the nitrogen cycle and how you're suppose to introduce IMG_2380.jpgIMG_2376.jpgfish sllloooowwwlyyyy I'm constantly monitoring water parameters, doing pwc, vacuuming excess food if any and doing everything to correct our HUGE mistake. We read to be careful about feeding during the cycling process as to not spike the ammonia so we have. But my question is, we have anacharis in our tank and our fish are crazy for it! They pluck the plant bald! I'm wondering if we should remove it temporarily until our tank is cycled so they're not eating 24/7? Also, any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

More setup info:

Fluval 306 canister
Fluval heater
Marineland 60 gal with stand & lights
Topfin dual air pump
-Prime
-topfin QuickStart
-About 60 fish most of them guppies and neon tetras

Anacharis is cheap... I would leave it. It is also a fast grower. As for waste.... you should add bacteria such Seachem Stability, Dr Tim's One and Only, Fluval Cycle, Tetra Safe Start Plus. I honestly would use two types and double dose... you have a lot of fish that you added. I would want as much bacteria build up as possible as rapidly ad possibly.

Anacharis is cheap... I would leave it. It is also a fast grower. As for waste.... you should add bacteria such Seachem Stability, Dr Tim's One and Only, Fluval Cycle, Tetra Safe Start Plus. I honestly would use two types and double dose... you have a lot of fish that you added. I would want as much bacteria build up as possible as rapidly ad possibly.
+1 have used all but seachem stability, Dr. Tim's is the one I had the most success with, do lots of water changes and keep up the prime dosing.

Nothing really to add to the above advice, just... wow... what a huuuuuge mistake.

However...

Good on you for looking into it and now doing what you need to to keep on top of it :)
It's such a shame lfs employees are allowed to put people and fish in this position.

Please keep us updated, and ask any questions you think of. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Also: if you have female guppys, you may soon find you have a lot more than 60 fish.

Anacharis is the salad of the aquarium trade. My fish and snails reduced it to stems overnight.

I'm currently using Prime, Stability and StressGuard by Seachem while doing pwc and constantly monitoring the parameters and using an eheim quick vac pro in between. Should we attempt to return some of the fish or do you think once the tank is cycled it will be able to handle the bioload with the help of pwc and monitoring water? I also might note from a space standpoint my tank is atypical. It's taller and wider but narrower in width so the fish seem to have plenty of space since 2/3 of them are the size of neon tetras. I'll attach a photo. Let me know your thoughts! We want to do right by the fish!

I'm currently using Prime, Stability and StressGuard by Seachem while doing pwc and constantly monitoring the parameters and using an eheim quick vac pro in between. Should we attempt to return some of the fish or do you think once the tank is cycled it will be able to handle the bioload with the help of pwc and monitoring water? I also might note from a space standpoint my tank is atypical. It's taller and wider but narrower in width so the fish seem to have plenty of space since 2/3 of them are the size of neon tetras. I'll attach a photo. Let me know your thoughts! We want to do right by the fish!
I did not see a livestock list. Is it a good collection of livestock, we would need to see that.

Can you succeed a fish-in cycle yes.

I did not see a livestock list. Is it a good collection of livestock, we would need to see that.

Can you succeed a fish-in cycle yes.

16 guppies all male
21 neon tetras
4 mollys
4platys
6panda Cory Catfish
6skirted tetras
4dwarf gouramis

Actually that looks packed but not bad at all for those dimensions. Just take care to keep you dosing and water changes going.

Back
Top Bottom