fish for 55g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMTmike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi im new to this site. I went with a fishless cycle for my new 55g tank. Im only a few days in to the cycle so now i have time to decide what fish i want! Thats why im here. I would like some schooling fish, but im not sure what would fit in a 55g. I also want different types of fish but im not sure which fish are compatible! I would love some advice or options on fish so any input would be great! Thanks so much for your help!

- Mike

Welcome to AA. If you are looking for peaceful fish cardinal tetras and corycats would look good. Mabey groups of 7+.

How much experience do you have with fish
a school of rainbows could work as a larger fish then you could go with smaller tetras and/or gouramies and/or angels depending on if you have ever kept fish before.

what type of filter do you have

in terms of schooling fish you have tons of options, what would work well is find a few fish you like and post them on here and we can direct you from there

as a starting point you could check out liveaquaria.com they have quite a few of the popular fish you would find in the hobby

I will give you some good options for starter yet colorful active fish option 1: 10 zebra danios, 1 pearl gourami, 10-12 bronze cories, 8 black skirt tetras. Option 2: 12 Tiger barbs, 1 blue or gold gourami, 5-6 zebra or yoyo loaches. Option 3: 10 harlequin rasbora, 10 bleeding heart tetra, 1 pearl gourami and 12 bronze cories.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! And i read up on filters and went with the Marineland Emperor 400. And im new to large tanks. Right now i have a 5g with a betta and a pleco. But i would like angelfish, some cories, longfin danios, or cichlids. Something along those lines. What do yall think about clown loaches too?

Cichlids would be some kind of dwarf cichlid. Theyre much more peaceful. You could get a german blue ram it maybe a Bolivian ram it some type of apistogramma-the color varieties are endless with them. Then, along with a few schools of tetras or danios, you could do an angel, mabe some cories too?

Edit-for the schoolers like danios or tetras or cories, maybe somewhere between 8-12. Just one angel unless you could fund a pair.

But don't just get two angels not knowing the sex, you could end up with two males and have a huge problem. Make sure you could find a pair (male-female.)

I wouldn't get clown loaches get huge gets disease easily like ich I would go with a smaller hardier variety such as zebras yoyo loaches will harass angels but I would get a single angel much easier to deal with as there is much less fighting. I would get the 10-12 danios as suggested 1 angel I would get either 10 bronze or panda cories and 5-6 zebra loaches.

Back
Top Bottom