Fish-In Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fox1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was doing a fish-in cycle to my 10g tank with 4 Cory Catfish. Probably not the best choice of fish but they looked cool. Over the stress of the cycle 2 of them have died. Will this effect my cycle? It is almost done, just waiting for the nitrates to drop.

I was doing a fish-in cycle to my 10g tank with 4 Cory Catfish. Probably not the best choice of fish but they looked cool. Over the stress of the cycle 2 of them have died. Will this effect my cycle? It is almost done, just waiting for the nitrates to drop.

You shouldn't of cycle the tank with fish in, they died because of the water not being cycled, the dead fish will spike the water parameter, making it even longer to cycle. To cycle tank use plants, and carbon media, cycle from 2 to 4 weeks, the longer the safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It shouldn't effect your cycle assuming you removed them after they died. I recommend at bare minimum doing a partial water change and dosing prime every other day to keep toxic levels low. IMO there is nothing wrong with a fish-in cycle if you are willing to do the work. I opted for a fishless cycle in my 45 gallon because I was not interested in daily water changes. Remember after your cycle finishes your tank will only be cycled to those 2 fish so add new fish slowly.

Back
Top Bottom