Fish in cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i read an article on aquarium advice and it says that you should stock fish you plan to keep in the future as your fish to cycle with. I would only put 1 or 2 fish in to start it but i want schooling fish so would i have to put in a few others so they could school

no i mean if i started the fish in cycle could i add like 1 tetra first to start the cycle because i know they school but i also can't add many fish in the cycle

what size tank are you planning on?

If it's too small I wouldn't add a whole schools at once personally. It would probably be pretty hard to handle those ammonia spikes. I sort of see it like they are going to feel stress of some sort either way, I think the stress of lower numbers would be easier for them than high ammonia.

A fish in cycle is a good option for things like this because you avoid that conflict

Neon tetras and maybe dwarf gourami or betta

I deffinately wouldn't start with the bettas or dg because the more aggressive fish should always be introduced last. Also a heads up bettas and neons have been known to not get along. And a dg may be alittle cramped and grumpy in a 10g. For the cycling I would say 2 or three schooling fish would be okay. Just under feed em abit to keep the ammonia from getting too high. You may want to jump start the cycle a day or two early by just running the tank with a tiny pinch of fish food in it just to minimize the stress on your fish. One neon in an uncycled tank is probably not too good. I would recommend a smaller schooling species though so that you can get a bigger better looking healthier happier school. Ember tetras or celestial pearl danios? Ofcourse just a suggestion.

Neon tetras and maybe dwarf gourami or betta

Neons are not the best choice for a 10 gallon, They really should have bigger. They are very active and to get a school in there would really cramp them.

For schoolers that are good for a ten gal M1k3y has some good ideas. They are great fish for small tanks.

You could do a single DG in there but I wouldn't do a fish in cycle personally. They can be sensitive and may not do well in a fish in cycle.

Betta is an option too, though not the best community fish so you may end up with just a betta and some snails or shrimp. Which can still be a lovely tank in itself. As it's been said they are not the best with neons, fast fish like neons will really stress them out.

You could do a few guppies in there, or endlers. They are very hardy, not schooling fish and would do great through a fish in cycle.

Fish In Cycling

i read an article on aquarium advice and it says that you should stock fish you plan to keep in the future as your fish to cycle with. I would only put 1 or 2 fish in to start it but i want schooling fish so would i have to put in a few others so they could school

Hello ed...

You want to cycle with hardy fish like Guppies, Platys or Zebra Danios. If you do a good job of monitoring the tank water for ammonia and nitrites and change out 25 percent of the water when your test shows a trace of either of these toxins, then the fish will be fine. Once the tank is cycled, you can rehome the fish you don't want and get some others.

You don't want to cycle a tank with more sensative fish, because they won't survive the cycling process.

B

if i got a platy for this what would i do with it after. they school don't they so i would have to buy more platies which i don't want.

Fish In Cycling

if i got a platy for this what would i do with it after. they school don't they so i would have to buy more platies which i don't want.

Hello ed...

Platys aren't schooling fish like Tetras. They're simply hardy, livebearing fish that have the best chance of surviving the tank cycling process. If after the tank is cycled and you don't want them, you can probably give them to the local pet store or to someone who has a tank. You can just keep them and research other fish that will peacefully live with the Platys. Your decision.

B

would lots of neon tetras and 1 platy live well together

Platys and Tetras

would lots of neon tetras and 1 platy live well together

Hello again ed...

I've never kept Platys, but I understand they're social, peaceful fish and do well in "Community" tanks. Since Platys are social, it would be best to have a minimum of 4 or 5. A single fish wouldn't be as healthy.

B

wouldn't they be in a community with the neon tetras?

Platys And Tetras

Hello ed..

If you have two or more different species, then you have a "Community" tank. So yes, you're right.

B

Platies will do fine with only 1 or 2 of them. 6 neons with 2 platies might work but I would choose another schooling fish. But neons don't swim too much do it could work. Also honey gouramis are a more peaceful smaller gourami

I'm not sure why someone would think neons do not swim much. They are extremely active fish and again are not the best idea for a 10 gallon. If you put a school in a ten on their own it is over stocked, adding platy on top is just overload. I know everyone seems to think that neons are these little fish and there for they must be great for little places but they aren't.

I have a school in my 20 gallon and next to my harliquin rasbora(another poor fish being stuck into tiny spots) they are the most active fish in the tank. They use the whole thing, top middle and bottom.

Platy are also messy messy fish. Mine are little poop factories. 3 at most in a 10 gallon will fully stock it. 10 gallons really isn't that big you need to realize. Most fish are not suitable for this size tank. The smaller you go the more water quality issues you will have as well and it's added stress on your fish they just don't need. If you are really stuck on neons then you really need a bigger tank to be fair to them and their needs.

Platy are not schooling fish but they are social and like to have company of their own kind. 3 is a good number to start with.

If you really want schooling fish you should look into the nano fish that have been mentioned they are the most ideal fish for this tank set up. You can happily keep a school of 6 or 7 ember tetras, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danios.

Back
Top Bottom