Fish In Cycling - strange parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicuz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10G with 3 platies in it.

I started the cycle 2 months ago. I have tested daily and every once in a while I would get a 0.25 Ammonia. At this point I would change 25% of my water.

Over the past 7 days I have been getting the following readings:

0.25 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate

My understanding was that Ammonia will go up, it will be transformed in Nitrite and Nitrate. So why do I have Ammonia and Nitrate, but no Nitrite?

Am I doing something wrong? Please advise. Thanks!

A fish in cycle will do strange things. Fight the ammonia with gentle chems and change the filter often. Also keep an eye on the Ph. But remember this. With a tank that small be careful of rapid changes. Speed is more deadly than parameters. It changes slowly, bring it back the same way. As long as the fish seem ok, keep it going. And remember also, the smaller the tank, the harder it is.

That is not really that odd. Sometimes the bacteria colonies will grow in such a way that there is never a nitrite spike.

You are never seeing a large volume of ammonia and as long as your nitrate is slowly but steadily increasing you should be fine.

I've seen this question so often, I really think it's just that the bacteria colonies grew so fast the nitrite spike happened between tests.

I suspect everything is fine. And your response to ammonia (water changes) is absolutely better than adding chemicals. Even gentle chemicals is more stuff in the water, and that can exert osmotic stress.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

A fish in cycle will do strange things. Fight the ammonia with gentle chems and change the filter often. Also keep an eye on the Ph. But remember this. With a tank that small be careful of rapid changes. Speed is more deadly than parameters. It changes slowly, bring it back the same way. As long as the fish seem ok, keep it going. And remember also, the smaller the tank, the harder it is.

Changing filters is bad. The best thing is to gently rinse with tank water during a water change just to get the nasty off of it. Replacing the whole thing is removing 99% of the bacteria that the tank needs.

Change the water daily to bring the ammoina down. If your fish are stressed because of the ammoina Ammo lock will alter the ammoina into a non toxic forum but will still give inaccurate ammoina test. The bacteria will consume the altered ammoina in time as they redevelope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Changing filters is bad. The best thing is to gently rinse with tank water during a water change just to get the nasty off of it. Replacing the whole thing is removing 99% of the bacteria that the tank needs.

Change the water daily to bring the ammoina down. If your fish are stressed because of the ammoina Ammo lock will alter the ammoina into a non toxic forum but will still give inaccurate ammoina test. The bacteria will consume the altered ammoina in time as they redevelope.

This.

Can't say loudly enough, don't change the filter. You'll never get it cycled if you do.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I had to change the filter floss after 7 weeks...it got really dirty and clogged...but I haven't touch the rest of the media (carbon & bio balls). I will remove the carbon once my tank gets establish as I understand there's really no need for it.

My bad!!!!! I was only referring to the floss medium, and only to the extent that it slows the flow of water. I should have spent more time with my answer. I highly recommend a larger tank also.

I had to change the filter floss after 7 weeks...it got really dirty and clogged...but I haven't touch the rest of the media (carbon & bio balls). I will remove the carbon once my tank gets establish as I understand there's really no need for it.

Just a rinse with tank water should be enough ! Unless by it being clogged where there's no water flow then I guess that's okay. It's a risky move tho. The bio balls should prob never be touched if I'm not mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong!

Back
Top Bottom