Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What can you use other then pure ammonia for a fishless cycle. Could you use fish food or something else?

people use fish food or shrimp but it can be hard to get your numbers up high enough I think with these methods. Would take a lot of fish food to get your ammo up to 4. lol

I agree with tamtam. A better option might be raw shrimp or prawn (let it rot in the tank; put it in a mesh media bag or clean nylon stocking so you can easily pull it out) but it's very messy and smelly.

I agree with tamtam. A better option might be raw shrimp or prawn (let it rot in the tank; put it in a mesh media bag or clean nylon stocking so you can easily pull it out) but it's very messy and smelly.
Anything cleaner?

honestly I can't think of anything that would be cleaner other than ammonia... It shows up in the tank through thinks breaking down.. say rotting in the water like plants, dead fish, left over food or fish waste. So any options other than a fish in cycle or ammonia are going to be a bit messy/smelly or hard to control(like fish food)
Is there any reason why you don't want to just go with ammonia. It's pretty readily available at most hardware stores.

I don't really want to buy pure ammonia.

Any reason? You're attempting to simulate fish waste, so clean doesn't exactly describe the process.

Janitorial strength is only 10% I believe, so its not quite pure. Plus a gallon is only ~$5
Maybe i will try getting it

Back
Top Bottom