fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok. First tank finally stocked. :dance: did a fish in cycle and was very stressful but successful and everyone lived despite my ignorance.
Am setting up a 10g planted for ADF. Moved a (little) bit of media from established tank, knew it wasn"t enough, but thought it might help expedite the process. Nitrate level read nil today, assume they died. Using flakes as ammonia source. MAKING A MESS! If this continues I'm doubtful of cleaning ability at the end of the cycle.
I have no idea what to do other than install a fresh dead shrimp and let it stink up the room. :eek: It will also take a while...
Any help / suggestions would be most appreciated...:thanks:
...these emoticons are fun!:smitten:

Ive had very good succes with fishless cycling.

What I do is add enough ammonia to equal 2ppm in a liquid test. Wait until reading is .25 or less and add it again until it reads 1ppm.

When reading is .25 or less and nitrite is less then .25 then add one last bit of ammonia to equil .50. This small amount should be zero with in a day.

Do a water change and add three fish a week until stocked.

Thats what I do, it has worked fine.

are you using messy flakes or liquid additive?
If an alternative additive, what do you recommend?
Thank you. I will use your formula as a base model.
:kiss:

I went to the grocery store and bought ammonia. I'm using API liquid test kit. make sure that your parameters are obviously good prior to putting in a fish. make sure to keep your filter in

Back
Top Bottom