Fishless Cycle: Ammonia Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamma_draconis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm feeling a bit sheepish and at a loss for what to do because I think I may have messed up the cycle on my new 29 gal tank.

I overdosed with pure ammonia when I was starting out a few weeks ago so that it spiked to over 8.0 ppm. Since then I have done 2 50% water changes as well as a few ~30% PWC. The ammonia concetrations have remained unaffected testing at 8.0 ppm every day. I assume that at this point the ammonia concentration in the tank is even HIGHER than I first thought and I'm just maxing out the test every time. I thought the water changes would help, but apparently no such luck.

So what do you all think I should do now? A 100% change? Does the ammonia remain on the decor and substrate? I didn't think so but now I'm just not sure.

I have also cranked my heat and added a miniscule amount of flake food to help establish the bacteria. I unfortunately don't have any access to seed material.

It depends on how much ammonia you used. It could very well be over the 8.0ppm. And if you are adding fish food that's just going to increase the reading. Once you get too high of an ammonia level the cycle will stall so water changes will help.

Are you using a liquid reagent test kit?

I agree your ammonia is quite likely over 8.0ppm and you need to do more water changes. I would take a sample of your water to the lfs to confirm your testing.

You'd be surprised at the effects of water changes. When my nitrite stalled at 1.5, water changes didn't make a dent.

I'm using the AP liquid reagents test that everyone here has recommended. I'll try more water changes, maybe as close to 100% as I can reasonably get.

Is there any way that the ammonia would have seaped into the decor and will still be there even after I change the water?

Marconis, what did you do for your stalled cycle if water changes didn't help?

*edit*
Okay, so I did what was probably a 90% water change and now the test results are MUCH better.

NH4:1.5 ppm
NO2:0.5 ppm
NO3:5.0 ppm

Ok, that looks a lot better. Your cycle was stalled by the large amount of ammonia. It's looking good.

Back
Top Bottom