Fishless Cycle Ammonia Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyederian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am preparing to start a fish less cycle with my 30G freshwater tank and purchased some ACE Hardware Ammonia Janitorial Strength Formula which seems to be the most recommended on this forum. It didn't foam when shaken but i thought i would do the test with a glass and diluted in water to see if it felt slippery. When i performed this test it did feel slippery so now i am confused as to whether i should use it or not? I know it is highly recommended but this has caused me some concern. Any advice would be appreciated.

Read the label carefully. Look for any other ingredients other than the ammonia, often ammonium hydroxide (Pardon the spelling). The key red flags are color, scent, soap, surfactants, and pretty much anything other than ammonia is a bad thing. I'll get my bottle and take a picture and post it for you. Gimme a few minutes.

Welcome to AA!

I'm currently cycling with the ace hardware stuff, and many others have as well. The key with that stuff is that there's no added surfactants, colors/dyes, perfumes/scents. It's those things that will be troublesome. It is a chemical, so it is going to have it's own "feel" to it. Remember that you're going to be adding very small amounts of this to your tank anyway, so think about how diluted it's going to be. I never thought to play with it to see if it foamed or was slippery though, but I will tell you that if you get it on your skin, and you have a cut, you're going to regret it :lol:

I think it was Sparky697 that came up with this formula for using that 10% solution, which has been really close to right on.

0.34ml per 10 gallons = 1ppm change

So, for a 30 gallon tank, 1ml = 1ppm.

Yea i read all the labels, had to look in several different places and they all had things such as surfacants. The only ingredient listed on the bottle is just 10% ammonium hydroxide listed on the front. Other than that it should be the same thing that has been recommended on the site, the brand and name is the same?

sounds exactly like what I'm using, I think you're good to go.

Your tank's filled, aerated, and filtering? Also a good idea to raise the temp to the 85ish range.

Ok here is the bottle I use.

There actually is not an ingredients list. I assume because there are none other than the ammonium hydroxide.

HTH

BTW, make sure that you read the articles on fishless cycle and the nitrogen cycle. Notice how I craftily added links to them in my sig :wink:

Yes, i have everything set up I was just preparing to start the cycle. I had just read a lot of horror stories about the wrong ammonia and of manufacturers changing their product so i wanted to make sure instead of having to take the tank back down and clean it and what not. Thanks for the Replies so far though its been very helpful.

I would like to see that picture though Sparky697, I saw on the ACE website that the small bottle of ammonia they have on their has a different label than the one i got at the hardware. The label on the one i purchased is more similar to the larger size they have for sale on the website.

*edit* Thanks for the picture Sparky, that is exactly the bottle i have, now i can get this cycle started!

Same stuff I got too!

Yeah, I had to go to 4 different places, I ended up driving like 30 miles to the "nearest" (I use that term loosely) Ace hardware to me.

Now, get your cycle going. Keep a log of your readings, doses, etc, may come in handy. And post pics of your tank!

Marconis said:
I am jealous of all these lucky and smart people who didn't use Stop & Shop brand :)

Man, I can't tell you how bad I feel for all of your trouble. I know one thing, few people will appreciate a aquarium as much as you will.

SparKy697 said:
Man, I can't tell you how bad I feel for all of your trouble. I know one thing, few people will appreciate a aquarium as much as you will.

And think of how many people you saved from doing the same thing by having your thread here.

That may not feel very beneficial right now, but one day it will.

Marconis...I feel bad for you too. I concure with Sparky, you should love that new tank like few can.
I also concure with Neilanh, we need pictures from both of you!

I used the ACE Brand. (The touch-silkiness test needs to be done on just washed/rinsed glass containers, with clean hands too. So I wouldn't sweat it.)

Back
Top Bottom