Fishless Cycle--Done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, as many of you probably know, I have two goldfish in my tank. Since Thursday, there has been no erratic swimming gasping for air, etc. They are acting as they should. This is a good sign as now I am 99% sure that soap is not a problem in my tank. The problem is that I think the fish have Ich because they both have raised white bumps on them (fins and body, but only a few.) So, I am going to be giving the little guys to my friend to take care of. I know I said I'd wait til Thursday, but since they have Ich I really don't want to keep them in much longer.

I am going to Ace in an hour to go pick up pure ammonia, and I am bringing along a printed picture of the bottle that everyone on here has posted. Obviously, I can't afford another mistake :D . I will be following the fishless cycle guidelines on here and another site that I like so that I won't do anything wrong. I'll post my progress on here as well.

For a 46 gallon tank, how many drops of ammonia should I start with?

We're all here cheering you on Marconis.

Get a medicine dropper. I stole one from one of my son's medicines he was on as an infant, something that measures in milliliters (ml). Sparky provided me a formula, that I found to be pretty accurtate for my 46 bow.

.34ml per 10 gallons = 1ppm

Essentially for our 46 gallon tanks, 3ml equals just under 2ppm. Just remember, this is adding 2ppm, so if you're already at 2, this would take the total to 4.

I had a reading of 0.75ppm ammonia (from my tap) when I started. I added a total of 4ml when I was getting started, which got me to 5ppm ammonia.

You'll need to use your specific starting point to tailor the amount you dose. Since you've had fish for a week, your ammonia might already be higher than mine was initially, so make sure you take that into account, and target near 5ppm. I generally wait an hour between dosing and testing to confirm my levels.

Here, I created a quick spreadsheet to double check myself. I can't attach it here, but if you want it I can host it once I get home.

Thanks for the detailed info. You don't need to attach the spreadsheet, thank you though. I already have one pinned to my wall ready to be penned in.

My pleasure. Trying to give back, ya know?

Keep a detailed log of water checks, dosings, anything else you do, may come in handy in the future. We also want pics of the tank, and regular updates!!!

Good Luck! We're all here with you.

why not just use a dead shrimp or scallop to provide ammonia? no chance of screwing it up, and no dumping toxic, manmade chemicals in your tank

Good Luck Marconis!

When I dose my tank (92 gallons) I am adding about 2 full tsp of the 10% ammonia. My tap has a trace amount that is well under .25 so I hope that gives you an idea of where you start if you can't figure out the other method. I'd start with a 1/4 tsp at a time and see how you do.
Also, I wait an hour or two before I test the ammonia levels and add anymore.

Are you going to keep the goldies or go to tropicals?

I tryed the shrimp for a few days and it smelled my tank up like crazy. I just want to use pure ammonia (I changed my mind about 15 times) because it seems much easier, and Ill be sure not to mess it up. Many people on here have used pure ammonia with no problems.

I am going to tropical fish, no doubt.

~~Just went over to ACE and bought a gallon of ammonia (they didn't have anything smaller). The label reads as follows:

-Contains 10% ammonium hydroxide
-No rinse performance
-Meets commercial & institutional specification

It looks exactly like the one that Sparky provided in his photo. I am still scared to use it
:wink:

I wasn't able to get an eyedropper because I completely forgot about ti and I don't think I have one around the house. Are there any other alternatives?

That's the stuff... now that you have a gallon of it, you need more fish tanks to cycle :lol:

For dosing, you can use a teaspoon, or if your mom bakes use her measurement cup things. Just make sure you rinse them really really good. haha

1 Teaspoon [US] = 4.928 milliliter

I would dose 1/2 teaspoon, wait an hour and see where you're at, then dose from there. The dosings don't need to be exact, you just want to maintain it to keep feeding those nitrifying bacteria between 3-5ppm.

Pretty much pick any small measuring device and use it all the time. Put one unit into the thank and wait an hour or so and test. If you need more, add it. If you went way too far over, pwc. Then just remember how much each addition raised the residual in the tank and you are off and running.

Congrats!

Good luck (again)! I am pulling for you and very glad you gave the ich-y goldfish to a friend. :)

Don't take credit for my advice Leilanh...lol. I told him a 1/4 tsp FIRST!
Kidding...

We'll sit and wait with you Marconis

Okay I just tested. My ammonia is around 2, so I am going to add a little bit more. My pH is high, around 7.6, is that normal?

~A little under 1/2 tsp dosed, ammonia is now between high 3-4. I dropped one of my stupid glass tubes because my dog decided to jump on my leg as I was pouring the ammonia solution (1st bottle) into it and it made me shake. :(

locorosa said:
Don't take credit for my advice Leilanh...lol. I told him a 1/4 tsp FIRST!
Kidding...

We'll sit and wait with you Marconis

Yeah, I don't know why, but I missed that until after I posted. My bad - I'm a newb and noone should listen to me anyway :eek:

Like Sparky said, pH is fine, leave it be. And as far as your ammonia, anywhere in the 3-5 range is good, so sit back and wait. It took me about 6 days before I saw anything, but since you had fish in for a bit yours should come sooner I would think. Are you currently showing 0.0 nitrIte?

Yes, nitrite is 0.0.

---I listen to you all the time lol, you are a very helpful newb.

Ok, well I would still think you will start to see traces of it quicker than me. I tested everyday, hoping and praying. haha. Then you think you start to see it, and in your head you wonder, "is it really there, or do I just want it so bad my eyes are playing tricks on me?" On the second day of that, I quickly yelled "HONEY" up the stairs, "Come read this for me". :lol:

Well, everything that I say that is right, is cuz of what I've learned from the people on this forum. I didn't know squat when I got here, except that the fish needed water to survive. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom