fishless cycle help, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustin415

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 6 gal planted tank. The tank was donated to me, including old media.

Where I'm at: Ive been adding ammonia every day to bring it between 2 and 4ppm, and I'm seeing that it processes that ammonia within 24 hours it seems. But my nitrites and nitrates havent changed a bit in several days and I'm not sure if this is normal or what I should do.

I'll post my numbers below. Note that I was unfortunately unable to test nitrites and nitrates for the first several days or cycling, so I might not have the full picture in my data. All ammonia numbers are before topping it up to 2-4ppm.

Day 1
Ammonia 0

Day 2
Ammonia 4

Day 3
Ammonia 2-4

Day 4
Ammonia 2

Day 5
Ammonia 0.5

Day 6
Ammonia 0

Day 7 (first day of being able to test nitrite and nitrate)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 5

Day 8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 5

Day 9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 5

Day 10
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 5

As you can see, it seems to be processing the ammonia but nothing is happening with the others. I've tried doing research but find it difficult and daunting to parse through. If there's anyone that can give me advice, or let me know what this means or if it's normal or wrong, it'd be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited for formatting.

10 days is not a long time to say you are seeing no progress. 4 to 6 weeks is typical for a fishless cycle, 8 weeks and more is not uncommon.

The nitrite to nitrate stage always takes longer than the ammonia to nitrite stage.

You say you are using old media, but unless it was taken directly from an established tank containing fish and into yours (within a few hours) the beneficial bacteria might not have survived the exchange.

You could try adding some bottled bacteria to give it another kick start, but you are right where i would expect to be after 10 days. I would also make sure you arent over dosing ammonia. You only need to redose to 2ppm, 4ppm is too much. Your nitrites will spiral into high numbers if you keep dosing above 2ppm. Maybe even cut down to 1ppm.

Also make sure you are doing your nitrate test correctly. The ammonia must be going somewhere and doesnt seem to be coming out as nitrates (every 1ppm ammonia equates to 2.7ppm nitrite and then 3.5ppm nitrate). Are there plants in the tank? The nitrate could be going there.

It's normal. It will take 2-3 weeks to fully cycle since your using old established media. 6 weeks or so without. You'll see eventually a zero reading on ammonia, and nitrites, then nitrates will start to climb. Feed the bacteria ammonia tho so it keeps growing and doesn't starve off, slowing down the process

This is already helpful information. Thank you very much.

Edit: and I do have plants in the tank.

So as I understand it, I want to keep this going until I eventually see a 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite 24 hours after dosing it, right? Then what, is it considered cycled then?

When you are putting in 2ppm of ammonia and seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite 24 hours later you are cycled. If you are starting with a light stocking you can cut down to dosing 1ppm ammonia and have that cycling out to 0ppm. In reality a normally stocked tank will never produce 2ppm of ammonia in a day. Your nitrates would normally be rising too, but if you have plants you might not see that.
So as I understand it, I want to keep this going until I eventually see a 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite 24 hours after dosing it, right? Then what, is it considered cycled then?

Thanks again. You helped me better understand the process and what I'm seeing with my tank.

Back
Top Bottom