Fishless cycle high nitrates and nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lightnin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all -

I've been fishless cycling for about 3 weeks with Ammonia. When Ammonia levels dropped after the first week, both nitrates and nitrites immediately went to the top of the scale. I've done two 1/3 water changes but they don't seem to budge. The tank is planted and a good deal of algae is growing - I've set the light to be on only about 5 hours per day.

I've graphed all my readings in a gDoc here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7MgaTRH_RArm3bMIwRzGLEUEUE/edit#gid=381145571

Any advice on why the Nitrates got so high so quick, and what I might do? Is my cycle still going ok?

Many thanks for the help!

I'm having a similar issue. My nitrites are always off the charts, even after a 75% water change. I also steadily have nitrates and after about 24 hours, they get about 40 as well, but the nitrites never go down.

One thing I can say is that the nitrates notoriously have improper readings. Make sure you are shaking the ever-loving hell out of the #2 bottle before adding the drops.

I see that you have a nitrite drop starting, though, and that's a good sign. It seems like you're on track and the nitrate bacteria are starting to catch up.

Back
Top Bottom