Fishless Cycle On 6 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franklin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my first attempt at a fishless cycle. Eco Complete substrate 1 1/2", 2 Java ferns on seasoned bogwood, 1 cup meshsock filled with friends old tank substrate placed in return. Argonite reactor media 1 cup in sock in tank.

First 5 days dosed ammonia to 4 ppm. No nitrite, no nitrate.

Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate

Day 6 2 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 7 2 ammonia, .5 nitrite, 0 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 8 2 ammonia, 4 nitrite, 4 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 9 .5 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 8 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4

Macrobacter added day 7.

How am I doing?

Looks good!!! Your ammonia is dropping & you have lots of nitrites & your getting some nitrates! Just make sure you keep an eye on your ph as well. A big drop or jump can stall your cycle. Keep up the good work! :)

Looks good!!! Your ammonia is dropping & you have lots of nitrites & your getting some nitrates! Just make sure you keep an eye on your ph as well. A big drop or jump can stall your cycle. Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks! My PH has been a solid 7.6 measured with a calibrated probe and controller. It is so strange. I have an established reef system and have always tried to raise my PH, except in my CA reactor. Reefers call it "chasing PH" and it is usually friutless. Now I am concerned about keeping it down along with DKH.:lol:

My nitrate level has maxed out my LaMotte test kit at 8. Are there cheaper ones that can register higher? I may need to do a PWC to be able to monitor nitrates.

Fishless cycling really works it seems. And quickly! Thanks again!~

A ph of 7.6 in fw is fine as long as it stays stable. I am not familiar with the LaMotte test kit but the API nitrate test reads to 160ppm. Some lfs carry the nitrate test as well as amazon ($8-10). It may be worth checking into because during fw cycling, your nitrates can go this high! :)

TODAY 1 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 8+ nitrate(off my chart) dosed amm to 4

One thing I have learned is to have at least 2 test kits. Which I didn't have. All my LFS's were out of nitrate kits.
Some of the leaves on my Java plants were turning translucent and then losing all color. They were the on the margins of the leaves working towards the stem. They a couple of them lost color and were dying so I removed them.

I wish i could help you on the plants but its an endeavor im presently embarking upon! Taking a guess, they may need more light or nutrients (or both) or it may be neither & something else entirely. Still learning! Good luck & keep us posted! :)

What is strange is that the amm is reducing but the nitrite and nitrate seemed stalled?

Day 10 1 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 8+ nitrate(off my chart) dosed amm to 4
Today .25 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 5 nitrate* dosed amm back to 4
PH slightly lowered to 7.19 on calibrated probe from original 7.58. Temp steady at 78.5. KH 5.

*The reduction in the nitrate reading may be due to switching test kits. I had been using my LaMotte test but it only reads to 8. The API reads to 160. I think the LaMotte test is much closer to the real nitrate since it is a high end test kit that has worked flawlessly in the recent past. Will continue to use the API however because it gives headroom.

Perfectly normal! You are finishing up the amm>nitrite bacteria colonization because your amm is steadily dropping in 24hrs. It should zero out any day now! There isnt a high-range nitrite test to determine how high they are actually reading but the nitrite>nitrate phase typically can take twice as long as the amm phase. Its only been reading 5(+)ppm for three days now-lets give things some more time & see how they go! Keep us posted! :)

May be cycled! I added a bacteria additive last night and I want to make sure my nitrite and nitrate ratios are not too affected by the bateria and are able to sustain this ratio without additives.
Gonna give it another day of testing and another day of moving filter media and arrgonite. Then a day of a PWC and checking results. Then a day of rest and a re-test.

Day 10 1 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 8+ nitrate(off my chart) dosed amm to 4
Day 11 .25 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 5 nitrate* dosed amm back to 4
Today 1 ammonia, 1 nitrite, 10+ nitrate dosed amm back to 4
PH slightly lowered to 7.19 on calibrated probe from original 7.58. Temp steady at 78.5. KH 5.

Looking good! Just make sure once you get your amm/nitrite zeroed out that your tank will steadily continue to zero out 4pmm amm daily for a couple of days with no additives. When your ready to stock, skip the amm & do 100% wc with temperature matched water (dont forget the water conditioner) & you should be all set! :)

Back
Top Bottom