Fishless cycle puzzling readings- HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheR3dDwarf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! First of all- thank you! I've been lurking around here for weeks and all the posts have been VERY helpful.

I am doing a fishless cycle on a 29 gal tall tank. I am 4 weeks in and getting VERY puzzling readings. I am using the API test kit and dosing with blue ribbon clear ammonia from ace hardware (no surfactants, perfumes etc.) Any water I add to the tank is put into a bucket and does with a few drops of PRIME before going into the tank.

I have the tank temp at a steady 80 degrees, PH holding around 7.8/7.9. I have two HoB filters cycling the water about 10x per hour. I have an air stone causing nice aeration. I have no live plants in tank. I have added (i forget the name) the porous little cylinder things into the HoB's for added media for bacteria to grow on. I also have lava rock in the tank too.

Two days ago I saw the ammonia go from 4.5 (ish) ppm down to maybe .25- NitrItes showing had fallen from 5 to 0 over the prior week. So I'm thinking AWESOME its finally done. But NitrAtes are showing 0...??!?!?!

After looking around the forums I found some similar posts that discussed the API NitrAte kit showing a 0 when the counts were off the charts. Following the post advice I tested using 25% tank water to 75% tap water and sure enough NitrAtes showed about 25-30 ppm.

So I figure THAT is the problem and do a 90% water change yesterday with a dosing of ammonia. Now 24 hours later my ammo dropped to about 2 with no raise in TrItes or TrAtes.

I don't understand how the ammo dropped without causing a bump in either NitrItes or NitrAtes (depending on which phase of the cycle I am in.

Any thoughts? Thank you all for reading my long long post!!!

If it helps I will post my weekly reading below:

Ammo not posted (Whenever it got near 1ppm I dosed it up to 4ppm)

(Day 1 (1/6) PH 7.8, NitrIte 0, NitrAte 0
(end of) Week 1 (1/14): PH 7.8, NitrIte .35, NitrAte 5
Week 2 (1/22): PH 8.0, NitrIte 1.5, NitrAte 10
Week 3 (1/29): PH 8.2, NitrIte 5, NitrAte 80
Week 3.5 (2/1)- after PWC 50%- PH 8.0, NitrIte .25, NitrAte 10

Last few days:
2/6: Ammo-3 ppm, NitrIte 5, NitrAte 80
2/7: Ammo-2 ppm, NitrIte .25, NitrAte 30
2/8: Ammo-.25 ppm, NitrIte 0, NitrAte 10 (topped ammo up to 4)
2/9: Ammo- 0 ppm, NitrIte 0, NitrAte 0 (topped ammo up to 4)
2/10: 90% PWC + Ammo Dose- Ammo -4ppm, NitrIte 0, NitrAte 10.
Now: Ammo -2 ppm, NitrIte 0, NitrAte 0. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I am trying to be patient and do things right, but I cant help but feel my chemistry is messing with me!!!

When doing the nitrate test, are you shaking bottle #2 really hard? You should try banging it on a countertop and shake hard, and see what happens.

I will try again tonight when I get home but I have been thoroughly shaking every API bottle before each test

Ok- so I smacked the ever-loving crap out of my NitrAte test bottles and VOILA!

Ammo- .5, NitrIte-0, NitrAte- I would guess 60-80.

Thanks for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom