Fishless cycle query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

witch-1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Approx. how long does a fishless cycle take - I appreciate not one is going to be the same.

OK I've got my new (second-hand) tank (200l).

It was pretty dirty - but spent the day cleaning and scrubbing.

Not quite ready to bring it indoors yet, but when I do I am going to do the fishless cycle.

I have a few fish in my biorb which I intend to transfer over once ready.

Also, am I right in thinking that transferring the biorb water would be beneficial too as its well established and levels are all good?

I think it will be within the next two weeks I shall start the cycle - depending on me buying more furniture to house these fish tanks!!!

Ta
Jan

Assuming you are starting from scratch and don't seed your tank using any filter media from an established aquarium it will take *roughly* 4 weeks.

I documented a fishless cycle. You might be interested to take a look to see what to expect.

My Cycle

HTH.

(y)Thanks - your dates could match mine ;)

I'm off to find a source of amonia from local fish selling shops! And new foam for the rather disgusting filter I received.

Its all very exciting - after purchasing my biorb and then realising that actually only a few fish isn't enough for me! I felt spoilt for choice, but had no choice!!! Hence my move to a much bigger tank.

Fish shops typically will carry the commercial starter products - which seem to get mixed reviews.

Not sure about finding pure ammonia where you are (sans surfactants, fragrance, etc) but you might find it in a hardware/housewares store.

You might try the prawn method to get the ammonia going.

Looks like you already have an established tank - that should speed things along!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

LAXPatrick

No luck finding it - you were right!! Only starter stuff they had was to rid of amonia - the man looked at me as if I was mad wanting to add not rid amonia :rolleyes: fortunately the other assistant understood, and said about frozen fish etc.

So its food source for me!

Itching to get started - so much so that I've sneaked some new fish in my daughters tank to look after for me ;)

I know, patience, patience - at least her tank had room and is established enough.

Add a few fish food pellets. They're a good source of ammonia and don't come with the associated risk of introducing a pathogen to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom