Fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh , I am being honest, I just messed up my post. I have a 36 gallon that does have fish, please see my other post titled Molly deaths, I meant to post that there. I have a 10 gallon with plants, that is fish less cycling. See pictures below.

Sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• image-324740551.jpg
    image-324740551.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image-4239048860.jpg
    image-4239048860.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 44
Mixer said:
Well the tests were exactly like this on Monday, I actually went ahead and changed water then, and added ammonia then. Didn't check it yesterday, so today I checked with these results, so maybe 2 days, I just didn't know if I should add more ammonia tonight or wait, and do PWC.

There are no fish, so I'm not to worried about leaving it as long as it doesn't stall my cycle.

Plus you titled the thread "fishless cycling questions". I would have NEVER recommended you dose up your ammonia with fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Alrighty I can see how that happened.

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

eco23 said:
Plus you titled the thread "fishless cycling questions". I would have NEVER recommended you dose up your ammonia without fish.

I think you meant WITH fish. Right?

So I understand, you have 2 tanks. Both in the exact same stage of cycling. One with fish one without?

Well sort of, I thought my 36 was cycled so started adding fish and then some deaths occurred, I tested again and the ammo was .25 but the nitrites were about 2.0 , so I started doing daily PWC and lost about a fish a day for about 4 days. I haven't lost anymore in 2 days, and my new test was the one I posted earlier when all the confusion started.

So I am going to check it everyday and if it stays good for a week then I might start adding more fish again. Well the replacements with my petco warranty.

Alright. You can see why everyone was freaking out when you posted that you hadn't lost any more fish in a few days.

Oh yes I understand, and I apologize for the confusion.

Ok so here is the correct test against the correct tank, that is fishless. So not quite 24 hours after I put more ammonia in and brought it to 4 ppm, it appears to be about .25 ammonia, 5 nitrite, and 5 nitrate. The ph is now down to ~ 6.4, since I recharged my DIY Co2.

So guess I will dose again tonight, and keep going, just waiting on the nitrites to fall.

Is 6.4 PH too low for most fish? Ie. Gourami, tetras, mollies, guppies,and the like? How about shrimp?

Attachments

• image-2452354600.jpg
    image-2452354600.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 33
Shrimp need more hardness to the water. They need the minerals and calcium that come with it.

Ok well I think my tank is finally cycled, I tested today and it's zeros across the board. You guys weren't kidding when you said it would cycle overnight. My test yesterday was ammo 0, nitrites 5, nitrates 40,so I dosed with ammonia again and today the are all zero.

So since it looks good, if I am going to get fish tomorrow, is there anything I need to do before I get them?

Make sure you do a MASSIVE (90%) pwc to lower the nitrAte levels down to a safe range. What is the pH out of the tap? You probably had a pH crash at the end of your cycle...happened to me. The nitrifying bacteria uses up the buffers during the cycle, and you should normally do a 60% pwc at the height of the cycle to avoid it.

Since it looks like it's done, just do your big pwc and check your nitrAtes. Congratulations on finishing. And sorry we all freaked out when we thought you had fish in there, lol.

So I guess I don't need a PWC to get nitrates down since they tested at 0. My ph out of the tap is 7.6 and is still about there. I need to get some way to get the ph down on a regular basis, what do you recommend?

Mixer said:
So I guess I don't need a PWC to get nitrates down since they tested at 0. My ph out of the tap is 7.6 and is still about there. I need to get some way to get the ph down on a regular basis, what do you recommend?

Most fish will adapt to most ph levels. Trying to get it down to seven causes more problems and deaths. It's more important to have a stable ph. 7.6 is fine.

Nope, I had nitrates for the last week, along with nitrites, and today all is zero. See my post I. This thread from 5 days ago.

Bettababe1011 said:
Most fish will adapt to most ph levels. Trying to get it down to seven causes more problems and deaths. It's more important to have a stable ph. 7.6 is fine.

Absolutely 100% true.

Mixer said:
Nope, I had nitrates for the last week, along with nitrites, and today all is zero.

If you have 0 nitrAtes, something is wrong. Hang on let me reread this thread. There's no way they're at 0 unless your tank is SUPER HEAVILY planted. BRB.

Back
Top Bottom