Fishless Cycle Stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samlitcher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Cycling a 55 gallon since Jan 9th. Followed all instructions and using household ammonia no additive (very hard to find). Heater is cranked to 85 degrees. No fish of course.

First two weeks ammonia stayed at 4ppm no nitrites or nitrates. Middle of third week started to see nitrites. Couple of days after nitrites and nitrates off the charts. Didn't do partail water change per someone elses advice (not on this site) but PH crashed and so I had to do three 90% pwc to get to readable levels. On this past friday levels were steady after having to adjust the pH to 8.

Now for five days pH has been steady, haven't added any ammonia which is staying at 4ppm, Nitrites are off the chart and Nitrates are holding steady at 10ppm. Feels like it is on pause. What should I do? Should I do a pwc to get the nitrites back on the chart? :banghead:

How did you adjust the ph to 8? Just with water changes or did you add chemicals to change it? I would do a big water change to get your nitrites readable (@2 or less). Just make sure you use conditioner/dechlorinator and match temp of the new water to that of your tank water so you dont shock your bacteria. Keep us posted! :)

Last edited:
Well I add proper pH to my tank to get the pH up. You know I didn't think about the temp of added water. :facepalm: That's probably what is going on. :thanks:

What is your ph normally? Adding chemicals to adjust your ph is not a wise idea. I would skip the chemicals after the water change because these may be having an effect on your bacteria as well. If you have a very low ph or very soft water that is lacking in buffers, you can add some crushed coral to your filter in a mesh bag or piece of panythose to naturally increase your ph & buffer the water. :)

Testing Results

My tap water is pH ranges from 6.7-7.

Did a 90% partial water change. Got the temp the same this time! Waited four hours and tested:

Temp: 87F
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Added AquaSafe. No pH chemicals added. Should I dose ammonia up to 2ppm or 4ppm?:huh:

Lets only dose it up to 2ppm for a few days & see if your nitrite conversion catches up. Keep a close eye on your ph for drops, too. Keep us posted! :)

No change today

Tested everything:
pH: 7
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm

I do hope I haven't destroyed all the progress I've made. This is a very huge test on patience. I've always been impulsive when buying fish, I want to do it right this time. :eek:

Yes, you need some patience! I am glad your cycling your tank first before getting fish! Do have you have access to any cycled filter media (a friend with tank, lfs, etc)? This will speed the process the up. If you dont, you can consider purchasing an 'active' filter from Angelsplus- these filters have helped many members cycle their tanks. Heres the link:

Sponge Filters for aquariums

Question, a member on here who you have talked to is urgently trying to find a new home for her two fish. One is a comet the other a fantail. Can I rescue these fish and continue my cycle. I was thinking since they are doing so poorly in a 10gallon and already have suffered ammonia burn that they would do better with more water. If its a bad idea, let me know. Better to rescue than buy but no point if I'm going to hurt them more.

Yes, you can although the comet will ultimately have to be rehomed in a pond because he can grow up to 18in & wont even fit in a 55g. He would be fine in there for a couple of months until you can find him a pond home. You would need to change out 100% of your water (possibiliy more than once) to remove all ammonia. You would then be starting a fish-in cycle. Because theres plenty of water & they are still small, it should not be very hard- daily water tests & water changes when necessary. You will need to ask yourself whether or not you are interested in keeping goldfish in the first place- they are a commitment as the fantail can live 20yrs (or longer). This is ultimately up to you. If you decide to do a fish-in cycle, we will help you through it! :)

Another goldie lover- welcome to the club! Goldies are wonderful, social creatures! If you are looking for some truly special goldies, I can give you the names a few sites that sell some wonderful fish. Let me know!

That would be great. I have been spending this waiting period researching as much as I can and checking out local and online fish stores. I really want some awesome goldfish that will stay with me for years and years. I also have a 72 gallon in the garage for when they get bigger. Hopefully that upgrade wont need to happen until I get a bigger house.

Start with the Goldfish Connection (GoldfishConnection.com - Showroom)- they have a live auction that starts every thurs night & runs til sunday. Click on their 'showroom' to see this wks auction or check out their 'gallery' to see some pics of their fish. Another site is Rain Garden Goldfish (i have purchased Steves fish before) direct from Hawaii, Rain Garden goldfish and flowers . A third is GoldFishNet.com - its another auction site but their fish are quite expensive. Hopefully, these links work! If not, just google the names & they should come up. I also know a private breeder in florida but he only sells his fish twice a year (babies in spring, adults in the fall). I have yet to purchase fish from him, so I will let you know how this goes when I do! Ask any questions you may have!!! :)

Heres 3 forums the are solely goldfish & goldfish-related information: The Goldfish Keepers, Aquapuppies, & the GAB (goldfish & aquarium board). Hope this helps in your research! :)

Seeing some progress

Tested today:
pH:7.0
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrites: .25ppm
Nitrates: not 0 but not 5ppm

So, should I dose back up to 2ppm or to 4ppm?:cool:

Current Stats:

pH: 7.0
Ammonia:2ppm
Nitrite: 0.50
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

I put sea shells in the tank for pH. No more chemicals and the pH is holding!:brows:

Glad the ph is holding! Keep a close eye on it! Lets leave the amm be for tonight & see how things look tommorrow! :)

Water Testing Results:

pH:7.0
Ammonia: 1.0ppm
Nitrites: 1.0ppm
Nitrates:5.0ppm little darker but not a 10ppm

On our way!
Will dose back up to 2ppm. I'm thinking it might be best to take it slow. Let everything catch up.:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom