Fishless cycle using food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elbeasto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
currently half way through a fishless cycle using fishfood and just noticed fungus growing on the larger bits of rotting food. Also, the surface is covered with small white things.

Is this any reason for concern? I was thinking of putting some pimafix & melafix in there but thought I would check here first.

I wouldnt of cycled with food, how come you didnt use 100% clear ammonia?

Food can cause phosphates/etc

They're called planaria and are there when there is an excess of food. They are harmless and will go away once your cycle is done and you get some fish. You can vacuum the older bits away if you felt like it.

I wouldnt of cycled with food, how come you didnt use 100% clear ammonia?

Food can cause phosphates/etc

Yeah that's what I wanted to do but I live in Australia and it's pretty much only the cloudy stuff that's available in the shops here.

They're called planaria and are there when there is an excess of food. They are harmless and will go away once your cycle is done and you get some fish. You can vacuum the older bits away if you felt like it.

Ok thanks for the info, good to know it will sort itself out after the cycle is finished :)

Back
Top Bottom