Fishless cycling..am I doing anything wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john.hunter225

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

This may just be my impatience speaking but I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong with my cycling.

29 gallon tank
Temp - 84 degrees F
Artificial plants and decor
Air stone running 24/7

As of this morning the water perimeters were:
Ph - 7
Ammonia - 0 (added more ammonia to get back to 4 ppm)
Nitrites - 6+
Nitrates - 60-80

I initially started my tank about a 1 1/2 months ago. I first used tetra safestart and put 5 platies to get my tank started. After 17 days the only thing that happened was rising ammonia and 5 nitrates that appeared after day 1. I returned the fish and decided to go fishless and add ammonia (Ace hardware brand).

When my nitrite and nitrate levels were unreadable I did about a 50% water change and levels were still off the charts so I did 3 more 50% water changes over the course of a week until I got the nitrites to 2 ppm. I've been adding 4 ppm of ammonia everyday and the BB devour it before 24 hours. My nitrites seem to only keep rising as are my nitrate levels.

I thought to grow nitrates the other bacteria pretty much feed on the nitrites and develop nitrates.

I went through a Ph crash for a couple of days a week ago and did 2 50% water changes and eventually added a tiny bit of baking soda and the Ph seemed to finally stop bouncing around.

Bah, does anyone see anything wrong? Or do I just need to stop being impatient and keep adding the 4ppm of ammo and wait more?

Oh, don't know if it matters but I won't be stocking the tank full after it finishes cycling. I will probably do 60% and slowly add more over time.

John

As long as the ammonia has no perfume or surfactant, you are doing very good. You will be done soon, but I am not sure how soon, probably within a week or two I think.

Ok.. John Hunter, I do my tanks fishless and the thing I see different from you and myself is that you are changing the water. I have not changed the water for any of my fishless cycles. I maintain my tank at 92F the first 6 Weeks and I add 2ppm a week. This gives time for the nitrites time to build up each week and create nitrate also. The last week I add 1ppm daily to ensure the cycle works in less then 24 hours. Yes the nitrates are through the roof , but the last day I change 50 to 75% and as long as the readings are zero ammo and zero nitrite and less then 10ppm nitrate I start to add 3 fish a week for the first weeks including weekly water changes. Once the tank has 12 or so fish thats when I start adding 5 a week until fully stocked. Hope this helps. Most of this info you can find at the library like I did.

How long have nitrites been high? The nitrite phase is the longest, taking about 3 weeks on average. Since nitrites are still pretty high you could do another large water change to try to get them down to a readable level again. Then dose ammonia to 2 instead of four for a couple of days to try to let the nitrite bacteria catch up a bit.

John you could do a h2o change however your removing the nitrites and prolonging the bb cycle. I'd let the nitrites build and they will be converted into nitrates, it may take a while since you have been putting 4ppm ammonia in. just let it sit keep the temp around 90 and it will speed up the cycle, which will still take a but of time. Just my suggestion.

John you could do a h2o change however your removing the nitrites and prolonging the bb cycle. I'd let the nitrites build and they will be converted into nitrates, it may take a while since you have been putting 4ppm ammonia in. just let it sit keep the temp around 90 and it will speed up the cycle, which will still take a but of time. Just my suggestion.

Actually water changes will not harm the cycle at all and if levels of nitrites get too high that in itself can stall the cycle.

You might want to do 30% of ammonia every other day and keep the lights on.

Try grinding up a good size pinch of flake food and check your parameters in 24hrs. It will add some fuel to the fire and get that nitrite converted.

You might want to do 30% of ammonia every other day and keep the lights on.

Leaving the lights on will give you algae problems with so much nitrate in the water. Leave them off.

ha thanks everyone for the advice, I cranked the temp up a little more and put a tiny pinch of flakes in.

The nitrites have been high for almost two weeks now. A little more waiting can't hurt.

How is the cycle doing today? Not sure how many gallon tank your working with here but if your nitrite doesn't start converting in a couple days throw a good size pinch of flake food in. Finely ground. Keep Dosing the ammonia.

Seems to being doing the same ol as the past few weeks. Dosing ammonia up to 4 ppm and its gone before 24 hours. Nitrites keep going up, off the charts again. Ph dropped from 7 to 6.5 yesterday so did a 50% pwc.

Trying to keep those nitrites to readable levels is rough. Seems like I have to change 80-90% to bring them down to 1-2 PPM.

My guess is its about 7-8 really deep purple. (using API freshwater master kit)
I first noticed the nitrites about 2ish weeks ago. Ever since they started they been producing strong constantly getting off the charts.

Wait to change out any more water till your nitrate is off the chart. Only dose ammonia to 2 till your nitrate spikes. Definitely toss in a healthy pinch of flake food finely ground. Sounds like your almost over the hurdle.

I appreciate the advice. I was thinking about dropping amount of ammonia I add in. I'll throw a pinch of fish food in now. Thanks again.

Ahhh, it just needs a final push. The flake food will do it. I predict 2 more days tops and it will be complete.

Back
Top Bottom