Fishless Cycling Help Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why the water changes in the middle of a fishless cycle?
All that is needed is to wait till the nitrates go up, at that point when you see ammonia and nitrite levels drop to zero, then and only then do a big water change > cycle done.

The thing with the ammonia bacteria is they love to grow. They split every 12 hours or so while the nitrite bacteria can take as long as 32 hours to split. This is one reason it takes so long.

Why the water changes in the middle of a fishless cycle?
All that is needed is to wait till the nitrates go up, at that point when you see ammonia and nitrite levels drop to zero, then and only then do a big water change > cycle done.

You have to stop adding ammonia. If you dose 4ppm everyday nitrites will take quite long to come down. Plus nitrates will be ludicrously high. Changing water mid cycle reduces the water changes at the end, replenishes micro and macro nutrients for the bacteria and keeps ph stable in water sources with a poor buffering capacity.

Basically in the same boat as both of you. I did an 80% PWC yesterday to bring my ammonia and nitrite levels down to 0, dosed to 2 ppm, then waited 24 hours. Checked them and Ammonia is 0 while Nitrite is through the roof. I'm going to wait until mid-day tomorrow and test again. If Nitrite is still through the roof, I'm going to do a water change or 2 in order to get my Nitrite levels down to readable levels. I then plan to dose about 1 ppm and wait ANOTHER 24 hours to see if it can convert to Nitrate.

I wish this would just end! I've been doing this cycle for about 5 weeks now (partly due to my lack of effort). Trying to stay patient...

My Nitrite-eating bacteria need to hurry up! I want my fishies! :banghead:

You gotta quit adding ammonia. Dont add until nitrites zero out. If it takes 2-3 days then thats okay but dont add any more ammonia unless needed. Or add maybe a couple of drops. Maybe a tiny pinch of flake food. But the nitrates need to catch up. By the way do you have readable nitrates?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You gotta quit adding ammonia. Dont add until nitrites zero out. If it takes 2-3 days then thats okay but dont add any more ammonia unless needed. Or add maybe a couple of drops. Maybe a tiny pinch of flake food. But the nitrates need to catch up. By the way do you have readable nitrates?

I see what you mean. I wasn't thinking about that last night, it was pretty late for me. I'm not going to add Ammonia then. Makes way more sense.

Nitrate readings are off the charts. I haven't tested Nitrate in a few days because I'm focusing on Ammonia and Nitrite, ,trying to get them to finish.

I see what you mean. I wasn't thinking about that last night, it was pretty late for me. I'm not going to add Ammonia then. Makes way more sense.

Nitrate readings are off the charts. I haven't tested Nitrate in a few days because I'm focusing on Ammonia and Nitrite, ,trying to get them to finish.

check to see if you have traces of nitrates and if you do then just let things hang out for a while. Don't add any ammonia, well unless you like doing water changes. get your nitrites in a readable range like maybe violet kinda purple-ish i think its 2ppm and just let it be. check it in a couple of days. IF it is blue then re-dose ammonia back up to 2ppm and when you get it converting 2ppm in 24hrs then dose up to 4ppm and repeat process. it may take a day or two to catch up to the new higher dose but just leave it and let you nitrates build up and devour the nitrites. when you can convert a full 4ppm dose in 24hrs then do a big water change and add your fish.

I was getting really frustrated with the adding ammo then getting high nitrites and changing water...add more ammo get high nitrites and change more water...and then just this cycle over and over and over.:banghead:

just add ammo and walk away. :popcorn:

check to see if you have traces of nitrates and if you do then just let things hang out for a while. Don't add any ammonia, well unless you like doing water changes. get your nitrites in a readable range like maybe violet kinda purple-ish i think its 2ppm and just let it be. check it in a couple of days. IF it is blue then re-dose ammonia back up to 2ppm and when you get it converting 2ppm in 24hrs then dose up to 4ppm and repeat process. it may take a day or two to catch up to the new higher dose but just leave it and let you nitrates build up and devour the nitrites. when you can convert a full 4ppm dose in 24hrs then do a big water change and add your fish.

I was getting really frustrated with the adding ammo then getting high nitrites and changing water...add more ammo get high nitrites and change more water...and then just this cycle over and over and over.:banghead:

just add ammo and walk away. :popcorn:

Thank you for all of the help!

I've been doing this same cycle for about 1 and a half weeks now. SO FRUSTRATING!

"Just be patient....be patient..."-Me :blink:

Alright guys...

So..after my huge water change yesterday, had 0 levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Then dosed up to 4 ppm ammonia and waited until now to check.

My readings are: 0 ppm ammonia, 5+ nitrite, and 10-20 ppm nitrate.

Was hoping to see nitrite levels to be 0 ppm also but it is fine. As long I am seeing nitrates at the end, I'm happy. Just got to wait it out a little bit more longer...:whistle:

Don't think I am going to dose ammonia for a couple of days. Just going to see how my nitrite levels go.

To gilpi,

I think because of the water changes, high levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate can slow or even stall a cycling process down (based on others)

Just didn't want to risk waiting all this time, finding out that my cycle stalled because of high levels of either one of them.

Alright guys...

So..after my huge water change yesterday, had 0 levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Then dosed up to 4 ppm ammonia and waited until now to check.

My readings are: 0 ppm ammonia, 5+ nitrite, and 10-20 ppm nitrate.

Was hoping to see nitrite levels to be 0 ppm also but it is fine. As long I am seeing nitrates at the end, I'm happy. Just got to wait it out a little bit more longer...:whistle:

Don't think I am going to dose ammonia for a couple of days. Just going to see how my nitrite levels go.

leave it for 2 days and check nitrites. You should see the dark purple fade to like a violet. Also check nitrates, those should be getting darker red. If this is happening then I would see how many days it takes to for nitrites to go fully blue on their own. How much ammonia are you dosing? I would try to keep it around 2ppm and build it up until it is converting in 24hrs then take dose up to 4ppm and repeat process.

I think I'm done...!

Tested my water just now and the readings are:

Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 40-80 ppm

Those this mean I'm done?! (Other than the dose Ammonia 1 more time to see if it goes to 0 within 24 hours).

Dose to 4ppm. If it converts in 24hrs then I think you are ready for fish. Do a big water change first to bring nitrates down then do a test. If nitrites and whenammonia are converted in 24hrs and nitrates are Around 80ppm or less then you are good

Yep, once it goes from 4 ppm ammonia, x nitrite, and x nitrate to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and x nitrate then you're cycled.

Just checked my water and my nitrite levels are .25 ppm!! My nitrates are still around 10-20 ppm which is kind of weird. Maybe the plants in my tank are using them? But yeah I am going to redose ammonia maybe later tonight and see if both ammonia and nitrite are at 0. I am really close!!

I may take a couple more days to get it to convert in 24hrs. Patience is key. Good job though. Sounds like you are on the right track now.

So my cycle is FINALLY finished! Dosed to 1 ppm, not even 24 hrs later, it went to Nitrite, then Nitrate. Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10.

So I just purchased 3 Harlequin Rosbaras. Currently float acclimating them. Will post a picture later.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out! So happy I have some fish to look at. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My only concern is, and maybe someone could help me with this, I'm using a Tetra Whisper 45 filter on a 10 gallon tank. It seems like the current might be a little too strong for them.

They can't seem to sit still too long and stay on either side of where the water comes down. Not really swimming around a whole lot. This could be because it's a new environment and they're a little weary of it.

I read somewhere that they like a medium current. Is that true? Anyone have any experience with Harlequins?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm planning to get Harlequin Rasboras also! I really hope the current does not bother them too much..Have a aquaclear 70 on a 29 gallon and also have a hydor koralia nano powerhead also..if you get any answers let me know!

And congrats on cycling! Unfortunately I still am cycling...hopefully it will be done soon!

I'm planning to get Harlequin Rasboras also! I really hope the current does not bother them too much..Have a aquaclear 70 on a 29 gallon and also have a hydor koralia nano powerhead also..if you get any answers let me know!

And congrats on cycling! Unfortunately I still am cycling...hopefully it will be done soon!

My harlequin love swimming in the filter outlet :)

Back
Top Bottom