Fishless cycling- high nitrites and nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gialdino171

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so I started the fishless cycle on Jan. 5th, and have been adding a teaspoon of fish food once every week. I've been testing the water periodically, with only small changes in ammonia (from 0 to 0.25 to .50 ppm). Today, the water read 0.25 ammonia, 2-5.0 nitrite (not sure exactly because the color was a sort of medium violet, but didn't really fit either color scheme), and 5.0 nitrate. Just wondering what I should do next, whether that be a water change (not sure how much exactly) or adding more food. Thanks. By the way, I use the API Freshwater Master Kit.

you will want to continue adding the food as you have been, your cycle is potentially done when your get 0ppm amm, 0ppm nitrite, 0< ppm nitrates..

you could do a pwc if you would like but its not necessary, if i where you whenever you have 0ppm ammonia but still some nitrites add more food so the BB can have a food source

Have you tested PH? Keep an eye on it just to make sure it doesn't drop significantly.

Keep the ammonia level up; you want ammonia to go to 0 and nitrites to drop to 0 on their own. Dosing with fish food is tricky though; there's no clear way to dose it and it takes a lot of food to get ammonia up to a good level plus it's very messy. If you can get some pure ammonia it'll be cleaner and a lot more accurate. The nitrites are a good sign though!

Back
Top Bottom