Fishless Cycling - High Ph, please help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katefshaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I am currently in the middle of a fishless cycle with my Fluval Edge 23l tank. I am 2.5 weeks into the cycle and have been following the 'almost complete guide to fishless cycling,' on this forum. It is an unplanted tank and contains bogwood. I plan on keeping red cherry shrimp and have added a heater to the tank, with the temperature currently set at 26 degrees. My last reading of the water in my tank was:
Temp - 26 degrees centigrade
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrite - 5ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
PH - 8.8!!!

My tap water parameters are:
GH 71.6 ppm very soft
KH 35.8ppm
PH 7.4 ppm

I am quite concerned about the spike in my ph levels and I am aware that it is probably due to my tap water being soft, having little buffering ability, combined with the addition of ammonia to the tank. I was wondering whether I should do a partial water change to restore ph levels and was wondering how much water i should change (50-60%?)?? I was also wondering whether I should place some crushed coral into my filter to increase carbonate hardness to stabilise my ph, but I am concerned that if I do this it will raise my ph too much to keep invertebrates?? I think they add sodium hydroxide to my tap water to increase ph to protect the pipes so I am a bit concerned this will affect the shrimp.

Thanks so much for reading!! :):fish1::)

I wouldn't worry about it right now since you have no fish in there. A lot of times during cycles, the parameters will be all over the place, including pH. After the cycle is finished, the pH should stabilize and then you can worry about adding something to lower it- if it will even need it.. :)

Thanks for the replies, :)

If I leave it to complete the cycle should I add crushed coral to the tank to increase carbonate hardness to stop ph swings or is my tap water ph too high as it is?? :)

My pH is 8.2.. Really it depends on the fish you are planning to keep and even then, fish can adapt to the pH. I really wouldn't add anything right now because you don't know what the pH will be until the cycle has ended.

Back
Top Bottom