Fishless cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonniecita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm new to fishless cycling. So far, I've set up the tank, (29 gal) added a few plants from the lfs, added Prime dechlorinator, have the filter and heater going. I'm just wondering if I should add the water that came with the plants?

Thanks so much

Nah, there is really not much if any bacteria in the water. It's really only on surfaces.

Start dosing your ammonia and get your cycle going! Do you need the links? They are in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Nah, there is really not much if any bacteria in the water. It's really only on surfaces.

Start dosing your ammonia and get your cycle going! Do you need the links? They are in the sticky at the top of the forum.

That's what I was thinking...thanks!

I have the fishless cycling link, it has helped a lot!

I need to add the ammonia and am not sure how much to add. I have a 29 gallon tank (it is filled almost to the top, maybe an inch or so less). How much ammonia should I add to achieve 4ppm?

Thanks again!

That can vary, im going to guess around 5mil as my 40g took 7 mil to dose to 4ppm. Try dosing 3mil, wait 30 minutes and test with your liquid test kit. If your short add some more.

Ugh. I added 1 teaspoon and checked 30 minutes later. It is dark green, 8ppm at least. Can I wait and see if it drops? Sorry to ask a million questions...

Apr28 do you have the exact same aquarium size and ammonia as the op? If not her results may be entirely different

Thank you all so much! I went ahead and did a 50% water change last night. I'm getting ready to check the ammonia level in a bit...

Hi everyone!

Okay, I checked my ammonia and it is hard to tell exactly where it is, but is around 1ppm (first time and have only added ammonia once in the beginning). I checked the nitrite level just to see if anything was going on and it is at 1ppm.
I am going to go ahead and add ammonia in a minute and wanted to see what you all think about the progress.

Thanks so much

If you're getting a nitrite reading then it sounds like your on track.

Be patient with the nitrite as it takes longer to establish than ammonia bacteria. I would consider adding a tiny bit more ammonia as 1ppm is ok but 2-3 would be better..

Last edited:
If you're getting a nitrite reading then it sounds like your on track.

Be patient with the nitrite as it takes longer to establish than ammonia bacteria. I would consider adding a tiny bit more ammonia as 1ppm is ok but 2-3 would be better..

Thanks! I think the level was actually lower than 1ppm (it was light yellow.)
I added 1ml ammonia at 5:45 checked at 6:15 and it was back up to 1ppm. I just added another 1ml and will check in a bit to see what it is.

What should the nitrite reading be?

Thanks again

Nitrite should be low. If light blue it's zero. If you start getting purple you are increasing. Check out my similar thread where I am also posting images of my test results. I'm in day 10...

Nitrite should be low. If light blue it's zero. If you start getting purple you are increasing. Check out my similar thread where I am also posting images of my test results. I'm in day 10...

Ugh. I thought nitrite was suppose to be high while in the cycling process. This is the first time I tested it and it was purple (1ppm).

Added 1ml more of ammonia (2ml total) and now am up to 4ppm in tank.

Ugh. I thought nitrite was suppose to be high while in the cycling process. This is the first time I tested it and it was purple (1ppm).

You're doing good! 1ppm is low (in my books)... is will continue to rise then fall. How long is it taking for your ammonia to fall after you spike it?

here is the thread I started because I was/am having the same issue reading the different shades of green or purple:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...stry-reading-skills-288438-2.html#post2748248

I use this link to calculate my mls of ammonia needed (scroll down to Ammonia Calculator):
Fishkeeping - Fishless Tank Cycling and Avoiding New Tank Syndrome - General Guides - Articles

You're doing good! 1ppm is low (in my books)... is will continue to rise then fall. How long is it taking for your ammonia to fall after you spike it?

here is the thread I started because I was/am having the same issue reading the different shades of green or purple:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...stry-reading-skills-288438-2.html#post2748248

I use this link to calculate my mls of ammonia needed (scroll down to Ammonia Calculator):
Fishkeeping - Fishless Tank Cycling and Avoiding New Tank Syndrome - General Guides - Articles

Thank you so much! I started on 12/2 and today was the 1st time I have spiked the ammonia, so we'll see when it drops again! Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. :)

Back
Top Bottom