fishless cycling with shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does it matter what kind of shrip you use to fishless cycle? I have a bag in my freezer of raw jumbo freshwater prawns. I dropped one in my 55 gal 4 or 5 days ago and I still don't even have trace amounts of ammonia. The shrimp is definately starting to break down, so I thought for sure that I would have some. Is it bad that its been frozen? I couldn't see any at the store today that weren't frozen or previously frozen. I was going to buy a bottle of ammonia but the only kind they had didn't list the other stuff that was in it and it didn't say that it was "pure" ammonia so I didn't really trust it. I have dropped another shrimp in now and am waiting to see if I get any ammonia in the next few days. Any input is appreciated.

No it doesn't matter. You should see ammonia soon. It is faster to cycle with pure ammonia for sure, but if you can't be sure it is pure ammonia better safe than sorry. I got ammonia from Walmart, their brand and it was pure, no additive in it. If that helps. Being Canadian too, it is likely your local walmart and mine should sell the same stuff for their brand.

Back
Top Bottom