Freaky water - High Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your using the liquid ammonia test they are pretty accurate. When cycling with fish you must change your water. This is why fishless cycling is preferred. It is much less of a chore. It is normal during ammonia and nitrite spikes to change your water 4 to 5 times a day, at 50% each time. To keep your last fish happy you need to bring the ammonia level down. Even if he looks happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

He might be a hardy fish I have two fish that made it through my really high levels when I first started out and didn't know what I was doing. They're still alive and kicking but that's just out of luck like yours. If you don't want to do them fine. But that is what you should be doing.

All I can say is some fish can survive these extreme conditions, I'm not saying that it is normal or common, but I had a Cory that survived horrible conditions (Ammonia levels) in my early experience with tanks (not proud of it) when I did not know better.

Keep the hard work of PWC to provide a better environment for these survivors,

I'm definitely NOT proud of my water, and I just don't have the time to change my water 5 times a day. Whatever happens happens, and if he goes, I'll start over and do it fishless.

You wouldn't need to start it over you would just need to find some industrial ammonia to add to your tank. Ace hardware sells it if you shake it and it doesn't foam then it's ok to use

Oh well, that's kinda what I was thinking. Mean while I'm just gonna go with the two 50% pwcs I've been doing everyday, and see what happens.

Finally got the test kit, and figured out what was up. I figured out my old water conditioner was causing the ammonia to bind, hence causing me to have those abnormally high levels. So I bought some prime, and my levels have already gone down! Finally!

Back
Top Bottom