Getting back into the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. Getting back into the hobby after moving. I’m checking my tank right now. I started it the 18th of last month and right now the ammonia is converting however the nitrite is converting very slowly. Nitrates have been at 5.0 to 10.0 for awhile now. I’ve been having to do water changes a lot due to ph drops. My question is my nitrite is reading high. Will that slow the cycle down?

Right now readings are

Ammonia 0
PH. 8.2
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite...5.0?IMG_0234.jpg

U might want to do a 50% water change. That's way to high. Your ammonia is changing to nitrite too much. Not enough oxygen in the water. And ur filter ain't working as fast as it could be filters need oxygen in the water to cycle that water the right way. If it's still high do another water change. Us ur own judgement on how fast u want it to come down. I did a 50% water change cause mine was climbing when I started. I don't like to put water balancing stuff in my tank. Water changes work. And it does not disturb the natural bacteria.

Ok I've done one yesterday. I've been dosing up to about 4ppm. Is it just converting too fast?

Dosing as to how, with what. All I did was fill my tank (75gallon) hook up the filter system and put conditioner in it. And did one 50% water change when I seen that nitrite start climbing. When I did my water change I just put another dose of conditioner in it. Now I'm good. It's still cycling should be almost done soon. And now I've had my 6 baby angelfish in it alittle over a wk. Just water changes when test levels get to high. It will get there. I have not don't anything but that 50% water change. My levels r still great so far. And I watch me fish alot, cause they will let me know.

Dosing with pure ammonia up to 4ppm for the fish less cycle. Every time the ammonia hits 0 I dose it back up.

According to the fish less cycle guide that is what was purposed and worked for me in the past. Just wondering why it isn't working now. And yes new as in never on an established tank.

Mine was used and so was my media in my canister filter. Could just get some hardy fish and let them do the work for u.

Mine was used and so was my media in my canister filter. Could just get some hardy fish and let them do the work for u.

Eh. I would prefer not to do that to fish. The ammonia dosing has worked for me in the past. I think the high nitrites is slowing it down. I'll do a large water change today and keep the dosing of ammonia closer to 2ppm.

I know, I don't like it either. But some people do it. Yeah, try that, large water change and c where ur @. Should lower it.

I’d say leave it how it is, the thing with nitrite is that one day you will test the water and all of a sudden they will have just plummeted to 0.
That’s what happened when I was cycling mine, literally happened overnight

Back
Top Bottom