Getting started agajn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just moved and left my more established tank back home, but I brought a small empty tank I had with me. And by small I mean itty bitty. It's 1.77 gal/6.7L. It has an internal filter that I can use once I get ahold of new cartridges.

First, it needs a good cleaning. I'm pretty sure when I emptied it out I just drained it and dumped the gravel in the garbage and called it a day, and we have very hard water at home so there's some pretty decent mineral buildup on the filter and tank that I'd like to take care of. What's your favorite way to "deep clean" a tank?

Second, what would you put in said tank? I was thinking of a betta, but I'm open to other options if there are any. I don't have a heater, but I could get one. I may have a spare back home that I can grab when I go home in a few weeks.

Incidentally, this tiny tank is advertised as a goldfish tank! Poor goldfish would be so cramped in this little thing!

You could use vinegar to help dissolve the mineral buildup. Lots of hot water. It might tank some scrubbing as well. Be careful with plastic surfaces and scratching.
A few low light plants and dwarf shrimp (red cherry shrimp) is another option for this tank.

Could I do a betta (possibly a juvenile...petco had ones labeled as "baby") and a few shrimp? I was debating between the filter it came with (Hagen marina i25) and a sponge bubble filter...I have an air pump and tubing I'd just need to get the bubble filter. Thoughts?

No fish.. inverts only in that size

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with @Brookster123 the smallest for a Betta should be 2.5 gallon.

The smallest a beta should be in is a 5 gallon. There is literally no practical way to control parameters in anything less.. a 5 gal has proven difficult in my history.... 5 is minimum for me though.. not to say some live in less..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom