Getting started as a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benmstar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello getting started! Have not had a tank in a very long time and found a great deal on one. Have been wanting to do this for quite some time. Have no idea what size this tank is or anything. Have no idea how I want to stock it or what I should stock in it. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image-4199471893.jpg
    image-4199471893.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 168
Welcome to AA!

To find out your tank size I suggest you get the measurements, there are tons of programs online that will tell you how many gallons it is. Once you know the size than it's much easier to start thinking about possible stock options.

If you haven't come across it yet I suggest you check out some of these articles, they are stickied at the top of the forum. Some great info that will certainly help you out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html

Ok so I used A measurement tool and I believe it is 28 gallons.

I am aware that i need to cycle the tank.

And I know that I want plants.

28 gallons is a nice size. Great for starting! You have tons of options for stock too, though the odd shape can make it challenging as many fish like that horizontal swimming space.

Do you have any ideas on what you want for the tank?

I have a 15 gal column. So the "foot print" as in the bottom of the tank is relatively small compared to the water column's swimming space. i.e. limiting stocking options. Certain fish hang in the middle i.e. Neon Tetras (but they need to school to thrive so you need 6 or more) & others hang out on the bottom like Cory Catfish. Those are fish I have & there are different combos based on water type/environment, aggression, etc!

I started w/ an Amazon Sword plant, then added Anacharis & just added Wisteria. I use Leaf Zone liquid fertilizer, have gravel & run my lights 10hrs a day. It's all doing great. Lighting is a important consideration. There's plain fluorescent bulbs, there's full spectrum, T8, etc. I'm just learning but make sure you've got the right light! good luck!

I have no idea what so ever what to stock.

As far as the plants go. I have a very good friend handling that portion. He is going to cycle my tank and start my plants he has a few huge planted tanks. So that part is in control.

However, he thinks I should pick my own fish.
I have no idea what my options are even though. I don't trust the pet store people. Lol

Totally open to suggestions.
(I did see a cute little frog in one of the pet stores are there frogs that live totally in the water?)

Benmstar said:
I have no idea what so ever what to stock.

As far as the plants go. I have a very good friend handling that portion. He is going to cycle my tank and start my plants he has a few huge planted tanks. So that part is in control.

However, he thinks I should pick my own fish.
I have no idea what my options are even though. I don't trust the pet store people. Lol

Totally open to suggestions.
(I did see a cute little frog in one of the pet stores are there frogs that live totally in the water?)

I believe African Dwarfs?? How about a Water Dog?? Really neat!! You are soooooo lucky to have a friend like that! I'm all alone. People laugh at me when I say I'm into aquariums. I just know they didn't know what they were doing & were unsuccessful due to bad advice, lack of knowledge & lack of resources. I've learned just about everything here on AA!!

I was pretty excited to find this app for my phone looking into water dogs now (love google) would love to have something different. Not really worried about having a ton of fish in the tank just something cool to watch :)

Very cool I don't know if I want something that is going to transform in to something that will need a different habitat

If I did the dwarf frog what would you suggest goes with it?

I don't have personal experience w/ them... But looks like this website says:

"African dwarf frogs are docile enough to mix well with freshwater fish like the goldfish [<--I disagree], small catfish, guppies, beta fish, tetras, swordtails and platies. Small crustaceans like the cherry shrimp and the Singapore Flower shrimp can go into the mix..."

http://frogworld.net/african-dwarf-frog/

I **disagree** w/ Goldfish b/c they are a cold water fish.

Plus from my limited knowledge goldfish need a lot of room so I would not be able to have much else in a 28 gallon tank.

Plus from my limited knowledge goldfish need a lot of room so I would not be able to have much else in a 28 gallon tank.

Correct :) One fancy goldfish should have a 20 gal tank and 10 gals for each additional. So you could do two fancies in there but nothing else.

African Dwarf Frogs and African CLawed frogs (similar but get much larger) are aquatic but should be in a species only tank. They are nearly blind and should be target fed plus they need to come to the surface to gulp air and they aren't the best swimmers so a tank that isn't taller than about 15" is recommended.

You still have some options though for a 28 gal even though the hex shape does pose some limitations.

Are there any fish you're interested in? You could browse some sites (like this one: Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums) for ideas or visit some local fish stores, write down the names of fish you like and then research them (and/or ask here).

Ok so this is a newbie statement for sure. I would like to have blue colored fish not super particular about what they are any suggestions?

Ok so I have looked into the guppies an have decided that is the direction I am going to go.

How many should I start with?

Ok so I have looked into the guppies an have decided that is the direction I am going to go.

How many should I start with?

Are you planning on mixed genders?

Some things to think about is how quick the breed.
Males are generally more colorful.
If you do mix males and females it's suggested that you get more females than males. Many do a 2 F to 1 M. Personally I go with 3 F to 1 M. The males can be pretty mercilessness in pestering the females so having more females helps lower that stress.

Are you planning a fishless or fish in cycle?

I have a hard time suggesting for an odd shaped tank... I would say maybe start with 12- 15. It sort of depends on if you want to keep females too because 15 can double to 30 in no time. lol. If you wanted to do something else with them a good bottom dweller would be Cory cats. They need to be in shoals but I think you could manage 5 nicely in that tank. I'd stick with the smaller types like pygmys, peppered or panda.

Back
Top Bottom