Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got back from buying 60lbs of aquarium gravel for about $40. At Home Depot there was about a 50lb back of almost the same color and size pebbles for $3.79! Now I didn't purchase it because I wanted to check with you guys first to see if it would be ok. Would the gravel at Home Depot be contaminated or unhealthy for the fish/plants?

It should not cause any troubles, but you want to make sure it's not something that is going to leech anything into your water. Do you have a picture of the stuff?

There shouldn't be any problems with that gravel. There are no guarantees without having the gravel here. Wash it extremely well and you could on the safe side give it a bleach rinse. Just be sure to rinse rinse and rinse rinse again the bleach solution. Also dechlorinate the rocks after the bleaching.

Yeah, those rocks look like they should be okay just from my experience and what I've seen in tanks. For the price, it wouldn't hurt to try it and test it to see if it changes pH of water. Test your tap water after it sits out for 24 hours. Do the cleaning Zagz suggested. After the rocks have been in a couple days, test the water again. If there is any noticeable change, just pull them out. Any change that is not notable in that time will be so slow that water changes should level you out normally.

I will definately try that out and then post my results. People, especially the ones with large tanks, could definately save a lot of money this way.

We have the same sort of thing in SW with playsand vs. aragonite sand. The play sand is $5-7 for 40Lbs and the stuff from a LFS is about $30-40 for a 30Lbs bag.

Yes in FW we use pool filter sand rather than aquarium sand. The price is extremely cheap for the PFS and expensive for the aquarium sand. That is what is great about sharing tips and tricks in the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom