Havent had a tank for 2 years, but Im back into it again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Real_Crunk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I used to have a 15 gallon tank with a few black moores, and a huge 5 year old 15inch Plecostomus that I had to get rid of becasue he was too damn big. Was sad to see him go, as I got him as a tiny little thing I could barely notice in my tank.

Anyway, Ive got a new 25 gallon long tank setup, with one of those hang off the egde "waterfall" filters, a few large african sword plants, and a big set of fake shark jaws. Its been running for about 2 weeks now, 24 degress celcius, and a PH of 7.6. Only problem about the plants is they came with some snail eggs, and the little buggers are multiplying. Ive delt with these foes before though.

Im looking to put some black moores in. I just love their big bulgy eyes.

Since its been so long, Im wondering what kinds of amazing new future fishtank technology has come around since Ive been gone.
Im armed with these chemicals, a good PH testing kit, and what little knowledge I have from before.

img_722657_0_88ca0ff3c81d0017457c6628c8fafce7.jpg

img_722657_1_739d2574a9ab12ede18cbef3afdbf258.jpg

Any tips for this kind of setup?

You can only have two moors for this tank. Sorry but the general rule of stocking for goldfish is 10 gallons per medium goldfish. They carry a lot of bioload. Moors should get about 10" when fully grown. When they are big enough you will want to get different gravel so they don't choke on the small stuff. Lucky you have plants that goldies don't typically bother. Before you get the fish, I also advise you to remove that fake shark jaw. Imagine a poor moor getting his eye caught on those teeth and ripped off. That would be very painful for the fish.

Return the the cycle and the waste control. Waste of money. You can do 2 black moors in there if you keep up the maintenance. You may want to do a fishless cycle. Much easier on you and the fish. Here is an article about it.

Im alright with just 2 fish. I used to have a bunch of small plants but my moores always uprooted them, and they clogged my filter, so I went with the big sword plants this time.

I had 3 moores in my 15 gallon for about 4 years. I was still living with my parents then, and my sister was beign a bitch and dumped a can of cola into my tank. Killed the moores, but the big plecostomus made it through.

Ive never even heard of the cycling thing. Ill definatly do that.

I've heard sword plants can handle goldies. I've got 12 goldfish in multiple tanks and I've not once tried to keep any plants with them. They only get clippings once in awhile to eat.

They dont do anything. Cycle you tank properly and follow good fish keeping practices and you only need the dechlor.

I must agree, when I first got into this hobby I tried cycle and it did absolutely nothing to help cycle my tank or save my fish. Do you have a good testing kit? One that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates as well as ph?
I am assuming you have no fish in the tank right now? Then I would definately recommend going with Rich's suggestion of fishless cycling. Much easier than losing fish and doing water changes sometimes every day.

Welcome to AA btw.

Back
Top Bottom