hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icorean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ive recieved a 60 gallon long tank in good condition with lights and 2 filters, emper. and a penguin no more then a year old. all free 8) . not to sure what i want to do with it. any advice 8O

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Well the first thing you should do is start cycling your tank- then you will have plenty of time to figure out what you would like to do.

I always suggest going to several local fish stores and writing down the names of the fish that catch your eye and then hop online and do some research on them and go from there.

The more you research in the beginning, the more money, time and sanity you will save in the end.

Welcome to AA!!! Congrats on the lucky find. You will need other stuff, what else did you get with the tank? heaers etc.

Sooooo, you've never set up an aquarium before? Exciting! I'd say the first thing to do is to read about the basics of fishkeeping, which could be done while it's cycling. But first you should know what cycling means . . . I'd poke around the web for a while at some beginner aquarium pages to get an idea of the principles of the hobby. GL, and always ask lots of questions!

Welcome to AA!

There are a number of sticky's (the threads at the beginning of the forum) which contain tons of information on starting a tank.

There are also informative articles in our "Articles Section", which is available as a quick link on the top of every page on the site.

Good luck!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice. The people on this website are extremely knowledgeable. Don't feel affraid to ask questions that seem simple because in this hobby it is any but simple. Good luck with the new tank. Your in for one hellava time :)

Welcome to AA! :smilecolros:

Lucky you! It sounds like you've acquired a nice setup...and you certainly can't beat the price.

A 60 gal tank opens up so many possibilities for you. Any particular fish that interests you?

I looked at your existing 30 gal setup in your profile. I would suggest getting at least 3 more tiger barbs (any color morph) and moving either the the gouramis or the tiger barbs to the new tank once it's cycled.

thanks everybody for the advices i really appreciate it. im thinking either a mass of community of small fishs tank or big fishes. im also kind of leaning towards the salt water side .
had my 30 gal fresh tank for about 2 and half years now without any problem. lion fish and green mandarin are awesome looking fish which i know isn't the easiest to take care of. sorry for going off topic i know this part of the forum is only for fresh / brackish fish.

Man i have never been brave enough to go into a SW setup. Not me, too much effort...lol and looking at the amount of time and money i put into my FW tanks, that scares me.

Yeah, you got to decide first if you want a FW or a SW setup before you even start to buy the rest of the equipment and start cycling it.

SW setups consume time and money, and IMO there are just as beautyful and colorful FW fish out there (e.g. dwarf cichlids, endlers, gouramis). SW fish alone seem to sell between 20 and 200$, not difficult to spend a lot!

Back
Top Bottom