Help finding ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrated98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been looking all over, and no one has the right combo.

I've found 100% ammonia, but with surfactants. and I've found 10% ammonia with nothing else on the label showing ingredients. It said janitorial strength on it.

Does anyone have a clue as to where I can get some 100% pure, with out all the crap in it ammonia? I don't think you can order it online, because its a marked item as far as bomb making goes.

I just got a 75gal tank, and I'd like to cycle it the right way.

Hello I've been doing my tank cycles by using ammonia from the grocer store. Its labled ammonium hydroxide and surfactant. I cycled my tamk at 25g for 6wks and it has come out fine. The fish have survived. Good luck. if you want true ammonia then do fish in cycle is my suggestion.

I've found 100% ammonia, but with surfactants. and I've found 10% ammonia with nothing else on the label showing ingredients. It said janitorial strength on it.

Does anyone have a clue as to where I can get some 100% pure, with out all the crap in it ammonia? I don't think you can order it online, because its a marked item as far as bomb making goes.

The 10% one is the one you want. As long as nothing else is listed, it's 10% ammonia, 90% water.

You can not purchase 100% ammonia- its a gas. The 10% janitorial strength strength ammonia you found sounds like the Ace Hardware stuff. It's just ammonium hydroxide and water and is perfectly fine for cycling a tank as long as there are no dyes, fragrances or surfectants. The Ace ammonia is very popular for fishless cycling if you live in the US but there are other usable brands as well.

+1 for the Ace Hardware janitorial strength. I found it really easily at my local Ace Hardware store and it does the job well. I'm currently in my 2 and 1/2 week of my fishless cycle and no complaints here!

I found my bottle at Safeway in the cleaning department. I would imagine and grocer store would be a reasonable candidate to find some. It should be in the area with all the cleaning supplies. Once you get your bottle just remember a little goes a long ways. I think with your tank it is only about 2-2.5 tea spoons. When I set my tank up I was thinking I would need a lot more than I did.

Like people have said, as long as it is just ammonia and water, it is fine, so the 10% one will work. I used the lowes foods brand, but make sure it is not the lemon kind and doesn't have surfactant or perfume.

Back
Top Bottom