Help on hazy water!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huoyuanjia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm new to the aquarium hobby but I did manage to have my tank cycled & everything was fine with my tank and fish. The water was getting a little hazy so I tried to make a hand-made filter using filter floss, but unfortunately I did see the material was 100% Polyester but did not notice the product have hypoallergenic material. Is there any way to fix this huge mistake? My tests for the water are not looking good at all ?

I think all polyester fills are naturally hypoallergenic. You said you cycled the tank before hand, which type of cycle did you do? What size tank do you have and what kind of fish?

The haziness may be due to a bacterial bloom, when was the last time you did a water change? If it was a bloom, they do happen, but it's best just to let it go, as they usually clear up by themselves. I put a Purigen pouch (by Seachem) in my canister filter to clarify the water, been great since.

Hypoallergenic means things that are unlikely to cause allergic reactions. Toad is right, unless something is added, polyester is hypoallergenic.

The big eight food allergens are peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shell fish, milk, egg, soy, and wheat. Common environmental allergens are dust, smoke, pollen, and bee stings.

So, for example, Herbal Essence uses shea butter in some of their shampoos, which can be VERY EXCITING for a person with a severe tree nuts allergy. So you'll see "hypoallergenic" on some of their bottles, which means that people like me can use them without having to go to the hospital.

Anyway, hypoallergenic isn't your issue. What's up otherwise? Tank size? How long has it been up? What are your parameters?

Right so my tank size is 37Gallon, we have 3 Platy & 3 Tetra & 2 Pleco. I did a water change 2 days ago, but because I notice a large spike in ammonia. The tank has been up for around 2 months & the tank was cycled within that first month using ammonia at first and then those platy maybe the third week of the first setup. You're certain hypoallergenic is not the harm here? I found some online that says non allergenic

Hypoallergenic and non allergenic are unregulated terms, so-- six in one hand, half dozen in the other.

What did you do with the filter media you removed?

I thought there was a difference where Hypo(Not likely to cause a reaction) & Non-Allergenic(Will not cause a reaction). The floss itself though was removed. this was not inserted into my filter it was more a separate filter crafted with a power head. For eg: ( https://youtu.be/J4CnMWfQfc0 )

If the material itself does not cause any damage to the water that is understandable but not certain why online I see some references that Non Allergenic does not damage the water, but Hypoallergenic would. Just need clarification on this could have possibly been something else that cause the spike in ammonia, All other tests are still perfect only ammonia was altered.

I thought there was a difference where Hypo(Not likely to cause a reaction) & Non-Allergenic(Will not cause a reaction). The floss itself though was removed. this was not inserted into my filter it was more a separate filter crafted with a power head. For eg: DIY KING- How To: Clear Aquarium Water

If the material itself does not cause any damage to the water that is understandable but not certain why online I see some references that Non Allergenic does not damage the water, but Hypoallergenic would. Just need clarification on this could have possibly been something else that cause the spike in ammonia, All other tests are still perfect only ammonia was altered.

Okay well I'm still trying to just verify because someone here stated it does not cause harm non allergenic & hypoallergenic, but I did look into this elsewhere and for some reason other aquarium hobbyist state to use only the one labeled as non-allergenic even if you say it's unregulated

Back
Top Bottom