HELP!!! Plant Ideas to help balance chemistry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MckeelRussell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Cycling???

tank specification:
(Time in parentheses is how long I've owned them)

55 Gallon Freshwater Tank
200 watt heater Aqueon
60g-rated Air-pump (6 in. airstone- Aqueon
2 filter 1 Aqueon 50/ 1 Aqueon 30
Malaysian Driftwood

Fish:
1 Albino Oscar-3 1/2in.(1 Month)
1 Oscar-3 in. (2 Weeks)
2 Blood Parrots-4 in.(purchased before I knew their background 3 years ago)
3 Spotted Raphael Catfish-3 in. (1 1/2 Weeks)
1 Rubber-lip Pleco-3 in. (2 weeks)
1 Marble Sailfin Pleco-5 in. (1 1/2 weeks)

Just started new 55 gallon Aquarium 3 weeks ago. Before that I had a 25 gallon tank.

And before you tell me I know my fish will get very big and i will upgrade tank size when the outgrow the current one.

So I have my new tank i will be getting rid of oscars as soon as i cure them of Ich and I am starting to use RO water, but I have struggled with chemistry imbalances recently and I know its mainly because of the amount of biowaste produced by my current set up, but I was wondering about adding live plants to my tank to "cycle" it but have no idea where to start. any suggestions? I have an AMAZING fish specialty store called "The Reef" close by my home which carries live plants.

Suggestions?
Cycling tips?
Anything?

Currently working on fixing nitrates and nitrites from horrible Indy tap water which gave my oscars ich, but it is getting under control.

Welcome to AA!

I doubt if the tap water is what caused ich.

What do the nitrites and nitrates test at out of the tap?

I would be weary about using RO water unless you are supplementing the water with some kind of mineral additive. If you aren't, you could end up having a pretty significant pH crash, which would cause osmotic shock for your fish.

Plants won't "cycle" the tank as they do not produce ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. Rather, they uptake all of these compounds as fertilizer (nitrogen). They can however in large quantities help ease a cycle as they will lower ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in your tank. This will only happen though if you have faster growers, and sufficient light to keep them growing.

Welcome to AA!

I doubt if the tap water is what caused ich.

What do the nitrites and nitrates test at out of the tap?

NO but the high nitrite and nitrate did and i don't know exactly what it is out of the tap but i took it to be tested before i put fish in originally and it had some. and of course I am using supplements with my RO water.

:banghead: My question what kind of plants?

I know plants will help, but which are best?

High nitrite and high nitrate does not cause ich. You didn't mention you were adding mineral supplements into your RO, (many before you have not) so I figured I would mention it.

What kind of lights do you have?

If you are using the light that came with your tank it is probably not very strong so I would recommend Java Ferns, Java Moss, Crypts, and Anubias. They are great low light plants.

If you are using the light that came with your tank it is probably not very strong so I would recommend Java Ferns, Java Moss, Crypts, and Anubias. They are great low light plants.

The problem with this is most of the species of these plants are very slow growers, and will take up very little N.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that Java Moss and Java Ferns are fast growers. I was researching the pink kissing gourami and the site said that the gourami likes to eat plants so it is recommended to get fast-growing plants such as Java Ferns or Java Moss. Once again, correct me if I am wrong.

I would not classify either as fast growing. Java ferns in particular even in optimal conditions do not grow all that quickly. Java moss grows faster, but still not in comparison to plants like mayaca, anacharis and hornwort.

Back
Top Bottom